• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Suspension Swap

johnd

Donation Time
I'm considering upgrading the front suspension on my SII (crossmember and all) for a SV unit. While I have been informed that the SII and SV crossmembers are interchangeable, I am uncertain as to whether the steering mechanisms are compatible. I know that the SV has a spindle that is different and requires SV disk brake hardware but am not sure as to steering compatibility. Thanks.

junkman

Gold Level Sponsor
swap

I just did it with no steering issues at all, just hooked the tie rod ends onto the SV parts and presto done! The hard part was finding the aluminum wedges to fit between the sub frame and the body.

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
I think the aluminum wedges were part of the earlier suspension as well, so that is not a problem unless the original wedges are corroded away.

Tom

Hillman

Gold Level Sponsor
Great, I have everything but the cross-member ready to go for an SV -> SII swap. Maybe I'll finally get the balls to do it.

Al

Hillman

Gold Level Sponsor
Well, I did one side today. Just the A-arms, spindle, rotors and calipers, everything but the hubs (I used SV seals and rotors). Looks like it will work. When I get the other side done, I'll update.

The original springs were about 3/4 inches shorter. Whether they were SII or something else, I don't know. I used them rather than the longer SV springs. The rubber spring 'bushing' was not working in either the SII or the SV X-member I used. The spring appeared to have pushed it aside and deformed it. Will post pics. On re-assembly, I used a threaded rod to compress the spring with both sides of the lower A-arm disconnected, spring went straight up. I think the rubber spring-thing is still in place. We'll see.

Then off to see if my mechanic friend can align it (he thinks he can).

Pics at http://s1328.photobucket.com/user/awm1949/library/Sping Rubber?sort=3&page=1

Note how the rubber is deformed to the point of not being there.

Last edited: