• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Sunbeam race history documentation

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
HJ Meyer just sent me his files from the Sports Car Forum dealership. Most of these records cover the racing of Sports Car Forum as well as racing in the mid-west from 1960-65. (the stack of documents is about 10" tall). Everything from letters between HJ and John Panks down to the check stubs.
It was awfully nice of HJ to send these with the intent that they remain with the car.

I think Buck Tripple ended up with all the Tiger stuff.

I loved one sheet that has HJ's notes. Pete Polver must have asked if he could buy a racing Sunbeam prepared by SCF. So, what would you pay?

basic car: cost 2300.00 list 2909
add in all the race parts: cost 3631.24 list 5183.03

Credit for parts taken off (winsheild etc.) 480.00

(btw each part is listed with cost and list price)

At 5183.03 that was a pretty steeply priced Alpine!

Steve

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
Series I ALpine

On another note... Richard Williford of the ad agency J. Walter Thompson
had actually planed on buying the Series I Alpine in 1963. I think he had actually made the deposit. Apparently he had a job change and wrote HJ telling him he would have to wait.

Too bad he didn't buy it...

Steve

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
Here's an interesting twist... Richard Williford is "Dick Williford" who was one of the founders of Stock Car Magazine.

Apparently, the other job opportunity that prevented him from completing the deal for the Sports Car Forum Series I was a position with Chrysler. (maybe the deal

Then in 66/7 he formed Stock Car Magazine.