• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Sunbeam Logo file

Jim in PA

Donation Time
I have recently installed an early Mazda RX7 steering wheel in my '66 SV. It looks and works great but I would like to make a Sunbeam logo to go into the center of the Mazda horn button...just for kicks.
Does anyone have a digital file of the Sunbeam lion logo that is at least 300 dpi?
It's going to be a chore to apply my SAOCA window sticker to some glass and scan it then Photoshop to get what I need.
The Mazda logo is 1 7/16" dia. at its base and maybe 1 3/8" dia on its face where the Sunbeam logo will be applied. Everything I've found so far is 71 dpi and pixelated at that size.
It seems easier if I can find a logo file ready to Photoshop.
Thanks in advance.
Jim

GlennB

Silver Level Sponsor
A supplier of Sunbeam logos / motifs in the UK

http://www.classiccapsule.com/

These folks will make you a resin covered logo any size you want. They've just made one for my Le Mans and it's really neat. They already make the motifs 24 mm diameter for the Harrington Le Mans keyfobs and made one specially for me at 28 mm to fit an old gear knob I used to have. Pretty low price too. I suppose there are plenty of this type of supplier around the world as these things are used in all types of regular marketing activities not just auto, but they were fast and efficient. They are UK based and have an archive of existing logos - they already have a Sunbeam Alpine logo. Glenn B

Jim in PA

Donation Time
John,
Thank you so much. As usual you are the one with the information needed.
The logo you supplied is still a bit too low res.
If you could supply a high res image file I would get a much better result.
Thanks again.
Jim

Jim in PA

Donation Time
GlennB
Thanks for the tip. I'll be in touch with these folks for sure. I thought of buying a key fob or a shifter knob to see if they would have an emblem the right size but it would be
hit-or-miss...
Thanks again for the info.
Jim

Jim in PA

Donation Time
Andrew,
Thanks for your reply.
I am looking for an emblem to pop into the center of the horn button on my newly installed Mazda RX7 steering wheel.
The emblem I would like is just the Lion portion, with boarder, of the SAOCA stickers.
I could scan the window sticker I have but would have to photoshop out the SAOCA text around the logo. The emblem I would make would end up being 1 7/16" dia and about 1/4" thick. (Thickness is not important)
My plan is to print the logo photographically, cut and epoxy to the original Mazda emblem plug. I'm just playing around and trying to make the Mazda wheel look like something it ain't.
If you can make something to the size listed about I'm sure it would be better than what I can whip up.
Jim

John Boggis

Donation Time
Jim, If you let me have your e-mail on the private message bit. I will send you over a high res image of the Lion.

I did notice that Andrews Lion is different to the UK one.

Andrew

SAOCA Web/Graphics Service
Donation Time
Andrew,
Thanks for your reply.
I am looking for an emblem to pop into the center of the horn button on my newly installed Mazda RX7 steering wheel.
The emblem I would like is just the Lion portion, with boarder, of the SAOCA stickers.
I could scan the window sticker I have but would have to photoshop out the SAOCA text around the logo. The emblem I would make would end up being 1 7/16" dia and about 1/4" thick. (Thickness is not important)
My plan is to print the logo photographically, cut and epoxy to the original Mazda emblem plug. I'm just playing around and trying to make the Mazda wheel look like something it ain't.
If you can make something to the size listed about I'm sure it would be better than what I can whip up.
Jim

Hi Jim,

You will need a good vac/system to float epoxy on the emblem to get all of the air out of the mix. There are softer epoxy systems that you can use that are soft that make it easy to get the air out but they do not harden for some time. A flame can be passed over the top of the epoxy and this will also remove the air. You will also need to make sure that your printed logo will take the epoxy and that it will not fade or change colour during the flash over when hardening. What expoy are you going to use?
I can provide a graphic of the lion to you but you will not be albe to use standard paper products, ink jets or colour laser printing for your image, I have tried this and funny things can happen. I have had things come out great and then they cloud or release from the surround. I have just started to use a new product and if things work I will share the information with you. The only catch is that the product is costly for single badge production.

Regards,
Andrew

Jim in PA

Donation Time
Andrew,
I am using photographic paper like you would have your snapshots made from. It is a dry process that is ink jet but with top coating. I've tested snapshot prints using readily available epoxy that is clear enough. The best one so far is the stuff used for fiberglass on a Corvette or a boat. It isn't crystal clear but a thin coat seems good...actually two coatings.
I have not exposed the test prints to sunlight for any period but the paper seems OK once it has set up.
I have other, very clear, acrylics available but have not tried them yet.
If you know of a key fob emblem or something similar that is around 1 7/16" or smaller I could use please let me know. I can cut and glue into the horn button center...
Thanks again.
Jim

Andrew

Donation Time
Hi Jim,

I use Crystal Clear and West Systems. I will do my best to make up a custom logo/graphic for you this week.

Regards,
Andrew Masse

Andrew

Donation Time
Sunbeam Graphic

Hi Jim,

I have given you a PM with a sample of the graphic.
Please comment.

Regards,
Andrew Masse

Jim in PA

Donation Time
Andrew,
This image may be just what I need.
I'll print and place to see how it looks.
I have another Sunbeam lion logo from a club emblem that has been modified to show only the Sunbeam logo. I can't wait to see how they both look when in place.
Thank you very much for your help. I'll post photos of the result.
Jim