• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Sunbeam Alpine Series III-V & Tiger; Cubby box installation on replacement wooden dashboard

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
This video shows how we made a custom cubby box to fit one of the (very popular) replacement wooden dashboards with the drop down cubby box door.

Tim R

65beam

Donation Time
Sunbeam Specialties sells these for either a RHD or LHD dash , wood or plastic dash and with or without the cut out for the hand hold. They are made using the correct style of material and the correct tabs for the wood dash mounting.. I've bought them for our cars. $27.00 plus shipping.

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
65beam, that is really useful to know. We have only ever seen the original type cubby boxes being sold before and these are too big to fit nicely behind the reproduction dashboards with the opening door. We have a couple of good condition standard cubby boxes here, they are too large and the mounting tabs go behind the bakelite finisher that goes around the original style box opening which is obviously not suitable for this style of dashboard. Apart from the size problem we wanted the box to be more rigid to take the various electrical items we have added. In the end we decided that we would have to make a new cubby box and the choice was just between wood, plastic or metal to make it from. If S.S. are selling cubby boxes that fit this type of dashboard they will sell plenty and we would have bought one from them if we had known!

Best Wishes,

Tim R

65beam

Donation Time
Tim,
I'm sure you've seen photos of my white LeMans that is our most recent restoration. The dash was custom made for this car due to the difference in the font of the letters by the vendor that makes the wood dash for SS. It's based on marine grade plywood with walnut veneer and has the cut outs for switches, etc. Rick has reproduced the cubby box using original pieces as a pattern. There are tabs to mount it as original to the back of the dash. I agree that it may not hold much weight but it does fit. There website and catalog are not up to date as far as what is in stock or what he sells so it's best to contact Rick if you're looking for an item.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Rootes making mechanics out of regular guys.... fast forward to today and add Rootes making them fabricators too.
The S.S. glove box is the only one available . Our OP shows the original with the riveted design and not staples like S.S.
What the problem with the original design ? gloves hardly ever launch themselves out of the open cubby ;)

65beam

Donation Time
Rootes making mechanics out of regular guys.... fast forward to today and add Rootes making them fabricators too.
The S.S. glove box is the only one available . Our OP shows the original with the riveted design and not staples like S.S.
What the problem with the original design ? gloves hardly ever launch themselves out of the open cubby ;)
Warren,
Gloves don't launch but it never ceases to amaze me how much the wife can store in that little area. The magnetic latch on the door helps secure everything and I paint any staples that show. I bought several of the mechanic bumper stickers while at the United. The only person I saw working on a car was Claudia so Buck needs to change the wording.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Bob, you missed the winking smile, the only thing that rarely launches out of the glove box are gloves everything else does and then there is the over 35 mph turn in the air prior to getting blown out onto the road.
As for Claudia change to making flight attendants into mechanics. I wouldn't ask a bumper sticker to be P.C. not sure if it says guys. I have used rubber magnet sheets on my CAT and other stickers for years. Once applying to a freshly painted car just for fun to watch the owners reaction could not do it though told him....

65beam

Donation Time
Warren,
Doug has always had a favorite saying. "Some modification required". That applies to just about anything he gets his fingers on. I asked him if the wife had him install a hidden compartment behind the cubby box of one car because I found it has a false back held in by Velcro. She said "don't touch". Space as needed?

Last edited: