• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Sunbeam Alpine: Changing the Gearbox and Overdrive Oil

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
We all have to change our gearbox oils but do you do it correctly? This video details the Rootes recommended process.

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Hi Tim,

Thanks for posting another video. Do you reuse the copper crush washers by heating them up? Your washer looked a bit different than the ones that Rootes supplied (picture below). Wondering what you are using for your washers.

1708272155781.png

Thanks,
Mike

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Hi Tim,

Thanks for posting another video. Do you reuse the copper crush washers by heating them up? Your washer looked a bit different than the ones that Rootes supplied (picture below). Wondering what you are using for your washers.

Thanks,
Mike
Tim mentions in the Oil Change video that you can re-use the copper washers by heating them up and then quenching them, restoring their ductility. I do the same, as long as the washer looks reasonably decent. Below is the relevant segment:

Last edited:

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
I posted this on Facebook, but I'll repost here for informational sake.

[regarding the video] "Well done! You may want to add, however, that cleaning the filtre and the magnetic rings beneath it is also crucial to longevity of the overdrive. The D-Type Laycock overdrive, the primary type fitted to Alpines, has a filtre and 3 magnets under the cover on the left side of the unit. They may be removed, cleaned, and inspected for lurking damage within the unit. Normally you'd see a fine gray sludge on the magnets, which is somewhat normal, but any long hairy bits in the filtre will clue you in to deterioration of the cone clutch. The filtre and magnets are shown in the diagram below as numbers 75 & 76. The filtre is no longer available from many sources, but they can be found with a determined search, particularly from some Volvo spares dealers, as the P1800 had the same unit fitted. The magnets and cover gasket, however, are readily available. Moss Motors has the gasket and magnets. The filtre, being made of brass screen, does not usually need replacement, however - only a thorough cleaning and refitting. The filtre & magnet cleaning can be done in situ. Simply remove the side cover and it's easily accessed."

1708275868494.jpeg

Tim mentioned that he does show installing the filter assembly in part 5 of his Gearbox & Overdrive Rebuild video series, if you'd like to have a look.

I should also note that checking the cover-plate for flatness prior to re-installation is important to get a good seal... it may require a light tapping on a smooth surface to flatten it at the bolt holes, particularly if a DPO was heavy-handed. A new gasket is easily made using some thick gasket material, an X-acto knife and a hole punch. The small bolts holding this cover on do not require much torque, and are easily stripped... be forewarned.

By the way, the Laycock overdrive was first fitted to the 1949 Triumph Renown cars. It was actuated by pulling out on the column-based shift lever. I owned one of these cars for over 40 years, and recently sold it last year.

1708276063455.jpeg

Last edited:

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
He mentions in the video that you can re-use the copper washers by heating them up and then quenching them, restoring their ductility. I do the same, as long as the washer looks reasonably decent.
There was no audio when I watched the video... lol

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
The lack of audio was just a one-time oddity for me. I watched the video Tim posted and there was no audio. I know he originally did not include audio in his earlier videos, so I thought maybe he hadn't included audio in this latest video. I saw the flame on what looked like a copper washer and that prompted me to make my post. Then after you indicated "Tim mentions ...", I went to another PC I have and loaded the video there and of course now I hear the audio. I missed a lot without the audio. lol

albeam

Donation Time
hi Tim

that second drain plug on the overdrive unit i have never been able to undo. all these years i have simply drained the main plug on the gearbox
casing. is it sufficient to do the job or i am i wasting my time? plenty of oil comes out and plenty goes back in. i never knew anything about engaging the overdrive switch prior.

albeam

junkman

Gold Level Sponsor
I just did 1 today. You only get about a cup of oil out of the OD drain. I had to use a turbo socket with an air gun to get the OD drain plug out. It takes 5.4 US pints.

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
John 'The Box' Roseby is our guru on all things gearbox related. He recommends not touching the drain in the overdrive. People routinely damage the plug and you only release small additional amount of oil. Just use the main gearbox drain plug.
The original gearbox videos did not have audio on them. It may be at some point that we go back and put an audio track on them but they are just pictures at the moment. The 'Changing the gearbox oil' video should have audio.
Yes we do just heat the copper washers, quench them and re-use them. The picture in the video is of a different copper washer, I just used the picture to make the point.
There are currently 133 videos on The Sunbeam Alpine Channel and I am working on a hyperlinked list that would allow you to see every video that is available and then go straight to it. If I can sort it out I will publish it in the next few weeks.
Tim R

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
There are currently 133 videos on The Sunbeam Alpine Channel and I am working on a hyperlinked list that would allow you to see every video that is available and then go straight to it. If I can sort it out I will publish it in the next few weeks.
Tim R
Sounds great. Hey, why not use the front directory page of the Rootes Light Cars manual as the framework, then you can organize them by service area - engine, brakes, gearbox, etc.?

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
Kevin,

When we get ready to launch I'll look at the possibility of doing that. It seems to make sense and I can't see a reason for not doing that. One of the problems with YouTube is that you are not able to shuffle videos around to change the order and are held in a straight jacket with regard to what comes up on the initial page, that is what we are trying to work round.

Tim R

ernestovumbles

Gold Level Sponsor
Perhaps a dumb question, but any tips on how to remove the rubber interior plug without damaging it?
I can pry it back about 1/8 inch by hand, but that is as far as I got..

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
I slip a medium-sized bladed screwdriver into the edge, then gently pry it up... it will come out with reasonable effort, so long as it's not gone hard as a rock... if so, replace it.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
I don't know of anyone that sells new ones, but certainly there a sure to be a lot of used ones about.

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Maybe we are wandering a bit off original thread topic now ... :)

I recall some threads on the forum about refreshing old hard rubber bits. Wintergreen oil was mentioned I think?

I have a spare tunnel plug that was a bit hard. I coated it using Meguiar's rubber cleaner & conditioner and enclosed it in a ziploc for a few days. It softened up a decent amount. I think the process can be repeated to soften up the rubber and prolong its life.

Mike

ernestovumbles

Gold Level Sponsor
Thanks again @Tim R for providing the video and additional information.
I was able to perform my first transmission oil change this morning.
The rubber plug took some work to pry out.
The rest was pretty straight forward, just slow to fill the new oil.
The shifting doesn't feel any different, but I know it has been at least 5 years since it had been previously done so glad to have one more thing taken care of.

53650254032_c4d76efe30_b.jpg

53651341158_4d3fb718d3_b.jpg