• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Summit for Brakes, Water pump?

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
In another thread, Summit was brought up as a source for various bits. I would be confident of oil filters, most ignition parts, and various electrical bits.

But I noticed they had two brake caliper fitments (at reasonable prices, with exchange), and a water pump (with its new, no-sealant-needed gasket). Has anyone used either, successfully or not?

Thanks in advance.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Ken, Are you referring to Sunbeam Alpine Parts at Summit? I did not know they had any listed....

DanR

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks Much, Ken:D

For some reason I never thought of SUMMIT as having Sunbeam stuff.

DanR

65beam

Donation Time
pump

The water pump listed on the Summit site will not fit series Alpines. They show the pump that was used on the 1725's in the fast backs and sedans built after the series Alpine ceased production. The problem with trying to use it on an a series Alpine is that the top hose is on the opposite side, the shaft is longer and the heater hose used was a larger inside diameter. The fan could not be installed and the shaft would hit the radiator. I would guess that there are probably a dozen new ones in my parts room. They were in the truck load of parts I bought from Tiger Tom when he closed down his parts business. I'll sell one real cheap if anyone wants to try using it.

RootesRacer

Donation Time
The water pump listed on the Summit site will not fit series Alpines. They show the pump that was used on the 1725's in the fast backs and sedans built after the series Alpine ceased production. The problem with trying to use it on an a series Alpine is that the top hose is on the opposite side, the shaft is longer and the heater hose used was a larger inside diameter. The fan could not be installed and the shaft would hit the radiator. I would guess that there are probably a dozen new ones in my parts room. They were in the truck load of parts I bought from Tiger Tom when he closed down his parts business. I'll sell one real cheap if anyone wants to try using it.

Pretty sure you cant install one of those water pumps on a series alpine becuase the front plate is not compatible with the later pump (plus what you said).
IIRC the later engines didnt use the front plate since they had motor mounts directly mounted to the engine block.

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
It sure didn't look right. Wonder if it could even be used for rebuild parts. If the bearings even fit, the impeller would need to be pressed off, and the shaft shortened, cleaned, and re-assembled.

The caliper pictures say they're 'representative' so you can't tell how close to right they are dimensionally, or whether they have metric or English threads for brake line connection.

They seem to have a couple of brake pad choices, too, but I think there's no shortage of those in the marketplace.

65beam

Donation Time
pump

Pretty sure you cant install one of those water pumps on a series alpine becuase the front plate is not compatible with the later pump (plus what you said).
IIRC the later engines didnt use the front plate since they had motor mounts directly mounted to the engine block.

That's right! Photo of one of my fastbacks. The water outlet and part of the pump are visible. There aren't any parts that are the same as pumps used on series Alpines. Summit may have calipers available for later cars. The calipers were Lockheed instead of girling. They were used on many other cars and won't fit a series alpine either.

Attachments

• 100_0252.jpg
    100_0252.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 46
Last edited: