• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Subway Tiger Winner ID......

Duke

Donation Time
I just received an email from Subway with the winner. It is -

Brenna C. of Kentwood, Michigan. Only a last name inital is given. Makes me wonder if it's all BS.

I am really curious to see what condition this car is in and if it is authentic.

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
Subway Tiger

I'd be interested if this person knows what it is....

If it's not an enthusiast, it will probably end up on E-Bay...

64beam

Donation Time
Hi,

Are there any pictures of the car being given away? Very lucky person if it is a real Tiger.

Regards, Robin.

alpine_64

Donation Time
the car they featured on the site was the same as one photographed in the hemmings magazine. So one would assume they bought that car.. at the time listed at about 57K USD

RootesRooter

Donation Time
The contest rules stated the value of the Tiger at $58,500, which should make it a fresh-off-the-rotisserie concours special.

the car they featured on the site was the same as one photographed in the hemmings magazine. So one would assume they bought that car.. at the time listed at about 57K USD

agmason

Donation Time
Kentwood MI is out in the western part of Michigan, near Grand Rapids. Maybe we will see at some shows next year.

64beam

Donation Time
Hi,

That is a beautiful looking Tiger :cool: . There are some very intering items on it also (or items that I have never seen other than the B.O.N). The LAT 70 wheels and especially the LAT 73 competition headers. I also noticed the Alpine 260 specification plate (Euro puchased?) and no reverse interlock on the gear lever. How much money was offered in place of the Tiger?

Regards, Robin.

RootesRooter

Donation Time
The contest rules didn't state the amount of a cash alternative. I suspect the contest folks wouldn't give out a cash alternative unless under extreme circumstances (cost/difficulty in shipping to winner's location, etc). The grand prize winner also received $25,000 cash to "pay taxes."

Interesting VIN: B9473214. The William Carroll book says square-corner doors and bonnet weren't introduced until 3254.

Hi,

That is a beautiful looking Tiger :cool: . There are some very intering items on it also (or items that I have never seen other than the B.O.N). The LAT 70 wheels and especially the LAT 73 competition headers. I also noticed the Alpine 260 specification plate (Euro puchased?) and no reverse interlock on the gear lever. How much money was offered in place of the Tiger?

Regards, Robin.

RootesRooter

Donation Time
Looking in the Book of Norman, I see Norm was a little less specific about the crossover Mk I's, saying the change to square-corners occured after "Approximately B9473100" (page 159).

George Coleman

Gold Level Sponsor
Very nice some ? about the body, William Carroll book shows pictures of what was called transition cars. Some would have body seams and square corner doors or hoods they mixed them up I would think that they used what they had on hand as they came down the line the British car makers were bad about using what they had on the shelf until the parts were used up!! :cool:

Jeff Scoville

Donation Time
Something I've always wondered, how do you do a "Frame off restoration" on a unibody car?
I mean, if dropping the front crossmember and I guess the diff denotes a frame off restoration, most every car we own has had that done!
Looks to be alot of structural reinforcing has been done as well, only meaning it must not have been too great a car before being "restored".
Nice car but I think a little overvalued.

64beam

Donation Time
Something I've always wondered, how do you do a "Frame off restoration" on a unibody car?
I mean, if dropping the front crossmember and I guess the diff denotes a frame off restoration, most every car we own has had that done!
Looks to be alot of structural reinforcing has been done as well, only meaning it must not have been too great a car before being "restored".
Nice car but I think a little overvalued.

Hi Jeff,

The majority of the time we just call it a 'bare metal' restoration as you know. I would'nt call the crossmember and diff the frame. If you could remove the 'X' frame, it would make it easier to repair though. Would the reinforcing be due to a competition back ground or is it more sinister?

Regards, Robin.

Jeff Scoville

Donation Time
The more I look at the pictures, it seems what this car needed was an "Add a frame restoration" which then would entail cutting off all the x-bracing and so on qualifying it as what they claim to be a "frame off"!