• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Strap for Convertible Top Frame

George Farrell

Donation Time
Hi

I'm trying to install a new convertible top on my Series V and wii be using seat belt material for the strap that connects the headrail with the two bowes. How does that strap run? Is it made up of two pieces?

Thanks!
George

George Farrell

Donation Time
Bill, I don't know. I suspect it would reduce flapping when moving and sag when stopped, does anyone know? Since I cut a seatbelt for the purpose, I will go with the strap if someone can tell me how to attach it.

George

socorob

Donation Time
My series 2 top frame had it riveted on the underside of the frame. I folded the ends over and riveted it on.

socorob

Donation Time
From the pieces that were left on my parts car when i got it, it looked like it ran on top the bows and wrapped under at the rear and middle bows and were riveted on with pop rivets with washers.

alpine_64

Donation Time
george,

The SII tops are very different to the later S3-V style setup.. so not really relevant.

Not sure seatbelyt material is what you wan to use either. The original straps were a pirelli webbing i think.. they are a little short and then when you stretch the top they go into tension to prevent the hood from flapping and sagging as you suspected. On some tops they ahve 2 .. one on each side of the car.. on the later tops i think they went ot 1 in the middle.. your header rail will tell you which yours should have as they have a recess for where they attach.

There is also a strap that goes between the 2 bowes behind you head.. that does not need to be the webbing.. it may have been a canvas strap originaly (but not 100% sure)

As for are they needed.. i'd say yes/.. my tiger was missing them when i got it.. the hood dished a little when parked and with windoes down and driving lacked tension.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Beg to differ, but I'm not sure they were indeed Pirelli webbing. I believe they were simply soft fabric webbing. Pirrelli webbing has a rubber content that when it gets old becomes blackened and sometimes even sticky and gummy... I don't think I've ever seen this on a top. The straps that hold up the boot on a SV, however *are* made of Pirelli webbing... and we all know what happens to those!