• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

stowing soft top

D

danish keith

Having trouble stowing my soft top on my series 3.
Any tips?
Regards keith

RootesRooter

Donation Time
Is it newly-installed? A common error, even by the pros, is to attach the side flaps to the body under the trim pieces. The top won't go down all the way in that state.

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
Keith,

Do a search for the word 'folding instructions' on this forum, and you'll find this link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y38FrsNE4Tc

in the Folding Instructions thread asking that question.

And by the way, your post does deserve to be in the Stock Alpine section... no need to put it down in chit-chat, as it is surely an Alpine-related topic.

The thread above also mentions a PDF of folding instructions that seems to be available. Unless it's a copyright issue, it would be great for that to be available in the "technical data" area above...

Ken

Series3Scott

Co-Founder/Past President
Platinum Level Sponsor
I believe many people have trouble folding their tops because today's tops are too thick compared to the original British Everflex material. Still, if you're careful you should have no problem, but there's a definite sequence to observe.

We should post the folding instructions from the owner's manuals on this website. Have to add that to the project list.

agmason54

Donation Time
soft top storage

I saw a video on Youtube showing every step.Search under Sunbeam Alpine and it should come up...
Agm

Nickodell

Donation Time
I used to have a problem getting the top stowed far enough down in the receptacle "bag" to get the boot buttoned down without a lot of folding and mucking about with the hardware, and also without wrinkling the window too much.

I solved the problem by replacing the original receptacle with one I made out of soft felt material that extends 6" farther down into the boot. The top hardware, fabric and window now drop in with the minimum of folding etc. The only mod I had to do was relocating the top of the spare wheel 6" or so farther out. For this I used a long shoulder bolt to secure the wheel to the bulkhead, with two nuts to locate the wheel itself on the bolt.

The current top was one with which I replaced the original some 20 years ago, and it still looks pristine, including the window. I can raise or lower it in 30 seconds flat.

(I also made the mistake, initially, of securing the flaps to the body.)

rnimares

Donation Time
Had the same problem of trying to fold the top down, until I realized that the top's side flaps were glued to the sides. Had the car shipped from New Jersey and guess the pervious owner nevered had the top down. It takes practice and being careful not to damage the top while trying to fold, but after awhile you find that it isn't that hard. I agree with Scott that the newer tops are thicker.

Rick

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
Hey folks, for complete, illustrated folding instructions for your convertible top, click on "SAOCA info", then "Alpine Marque" and choose issue 5 for early cars, and issue 6 for later series. Everything old is new again.

Ken

Tullamore

Donation Time
Hey folks, for complete, illustrated folding instructions for your convertible top, click on "SAOCA info", then "Alpine Marque" and choose issue 5 for early cars, and issue 6 for later series. Everything old is new again.

All of those links are broken, instead of being .pdf the links are /pdf.

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
Hmmm... I'm not the one who posted them, but I was able to open and read 'em. And I just clicked on the link like everyone else. When I was browsing, I did notice the / vs . issue, though. Let me see if I can save them locally, and then post them here. I'll take them off this message if I read that the issue has been resolved.

Ken