• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Stock Alpine Engine colors

S

stevejo

Can anyone tell me what color the original engine blocks were on series V alpines from thre factory?

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
All the engines, and other sheet metal are painted a gloss black, like one would get from a single-stage acrylic enamel. Only the very, very late series V had the engine blocks painted a grayish-blue (I have that color matched by the way)
Jan

64beam

Donation Time
All the engines, and other sheet metal are painted a gloss black, like one would get from a single-stage acrylic enamel. Only the very, very late series V had the engine blocks painted a grayish-blue (I have that color matched by the way)
Jan

Hi Jan,

What colour should the brake reservoir cap, oil filler cap and filler neck be for the series IV?

Thanks, Robin.

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
On a series IV, the brake fluid reservoir is plastic isn't it? The oil filler cap & neck, on the valve cover was plated with nickel I think?

Series3Scott

Co-Founder/Past President
Platinum Level Sponsor
Not to be too nit-picky Jan, but is it a true gloss black? I always thought it was more of a satin black, not quite flat, not quite gloss.

Just curious.

64beam

Donation Time
On a series IV, the brake fluid reservoir is plastic isn't it? The oil filler cap & neck, on the valve cover was plated with nickel I think?

Hi Jan,

I'm not sure whether the brake reservoir cap is supposed to be plastic, but mine is metal.

Thank for your help, Robin.

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
always thought it was more of a satin black...
Scott,
No, its gloss. It appears the UK cars are gloss, the American cars are satin. I found original "gloss" black sheetmetal on Ian's Lotus & his Mini, that we are working on.

PS - The key here is "original" parts. As we all know, these cars have been worked on & cosmeticlly restored over the past 40 years. I know when I worked on my series I back in 1970, I painted what I thought was acceptable & looked good. Back then I didn't really care to much, I just wanted to get the car running. Now is different, and I feel why go to all the trouble to restore a part (including dipping it or blasting it, metal treat it, and paint it with a quality paint), why not get (at the very least) the paint right? That's a very, very simple thing to do..........In my opinion.

S

stevejo

Alpine Engines

Now I'm really confused were the engines gloss black or semi gloss red???????

S

stevejo

Engine color

P. Scofield seems to think they were semi-gloss red could he be right?

65beam

Donation Time
engine color

keep in mind that alpines have oil leaks so the engines will become black anyway