1. Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible.

Enjoy.

Dismiss Notice

Stock Alpine Engine colors

Discussion in '"Stock" Alpine' started by stevejo, Feb 19, 2007.

1. stevejo

stevejo Guest

Can anyone tell me what color the original engine blocks were on series V alpines from thre factory?

2. jumpinjan

jumpinjan Donation Time

All the engines, and other sheet metal are painted a gloss black, like one would get from a single-stage acrylic enamel. Only the very, very late series V had the engine blocks painted a grayish-blue (I have that color matched by the way)
    Jan

3. 64beam

64beam Donation Time

Hi Jan,

What colour should the brake reservoir cap, oil filler cap and filler neck be for the series IV?

Thanks, Robin.

4. jumpinjan

jumpinjan Donation Time

On a series IV, the brake fluid reservoir is plastic isn't it? The oil filler cap & neck, on the valve cover was plated with nickel I think?

5. Series3Scott

Series3Scott Co-Founder/Past President Platinum Level Sponsor

Not to be too nit-picky Jan, but is it a true gloss black? I always thought it was more of a satin black, not quite flat, not quite gloss.

Just curious.

6. P. Scofield

P. Scofield Bronze Level Sponsor

They were all red. Semi-gloss red.

;)

7. 64beam

64beam Donation Time

Hi Jan,

I'm not sure whether the brake reservoir cap is supposed to be plastic, but mine is metal.

Thank for your help, Robin.

8. Tullamore

Tullamore Donation Time

They are supposed to be plastic on the IV and V.

9. jumpinjan

jumpinjan Donation Time

Scott,
    No, its gloss. It appears the UK cars are gloss, the American cars are satin. I found original "gloss" black sheetmetal on Ian's Lotus & his Mini, that we are working on.

PS - The key here is "original" parts. As we all know, these cars have been worked on & cosmeticlly restored over the past 40 years. I know when I worked on my series I back in 1970, I painted what I thought was acceptable & looked good. Back then I didn't really care to much, I just wanted to get the car running. Now is different, and I feel why go to all the trouble to restore a part (including dipping it or blasting it, metal treat it, and paint it with a quality paint), why not get (at the very least) the paint right? That's a very, very simple thing to do..........In my opinion.

10. stevejo

stevejo Guest

Alpine Engines

Now I'm really confused were the engines gloss black or semi gloss red???????

11. Steve Kirk

Steve Kirk Guest

The engines were black

12. stevejo

stevejo Guest

Engine color

P. Scofield seems to think they were semi-gloss red could he be right?

13. Jeff Scoville

Jeff Scoville Donation Time

Gloss Black.

14. alpine_64

alpine_64 Donation Time

paul thats just you doing a show style car.. like all that plating you did.. we both know you shoudld have satin red :D

15. P. Scofield

P. Scofield Bronze Level Sponsor

They were black. Sorry, was just bored. I think the gloss or semi is splitting hairs. Theye look right both ways.

P

16. 65beam

65beam Donation Time

engine color

keep in mind that alpines have oil leaks so the engines will become black anyway

17. Jim E

Jim E Donation Time

The factory replacement engines were a reddish color....

18. 65beam

65beam Donation Time

engine color

jim,

both of my crate motors were blue.

19. Jim E

Jim E Donation Time

Never seen a blue one but have had a couple of the reddish ones. Interesting

20. RootesRacer

RootesRacer Donation Time

A lot of the "crate" motors were destined for Iran.

Might have something to do with why the color was different.