• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Stiff clutch pedal fix

jzuk7

Donation Time
On my SV with a v6 the clutch pedal has always been stiff. It always seemed to take more effort that what I was expecting to disengage the clutch. I have a wilwood master cylinder, 5/8 bore and a wilwood external slave. The other month, the clutch pedal started squeaking bad.

This morning I took the pedal assembly out at the pivot was very dry and some corrosion. I took the pivot apart and cleaned it and then greased it. Once back together I was surprised how much better the clutch works. No more squeaks and much less effort to disengage the pedal.

I mention this in case anyone else has a stiff clutch pedal, this is an easy thing to try. Well almost easy, taking out the pedal assembly and reinstalling was a pain to do by myself.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Your Clutch cylinder being 5/8 might also play a part in stiffness.... I thought Wildwood recommended 3/4 ?

The removal, greasing and replacement of the pedal sounds like a grand idea:) Thanks for that idea....

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Your Clutch cylinder being 5/8 might also play a part in stiffness.... I thought Wildwood recommended 3/4

Other things being equal, a 5/8" MC will require about one-third LESS effort to depress than a 3/4" MC. The down side is about one-third more travel to disengage the clutch.

jzuk7

Donation Time
The 5/8 MC works good my set up as the longer travel is not that bad for me. I was just surprised how much easier it is to push after cleaning and greasing the pivot. It probably has not been touched in 50 years.

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
I have this very issue w/ my 5/8 Wilwood external slave. Now I am motivated to do the fix as I set it up for easy (?)
removal. It does have a long travel but engages at about the right point for my taste. I do not use a stop and after about 6 years things seem to
be mechanically OK.
Thanks for the info.