• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Steering wheel recommendation

Rogere830

Silver Level Sponsor
Hey guys,

I would like to replace the stock steering wheel on my '67 series V Alpine with a nice 15 inch three spoke wooden wheel. I don't mind if I have to do away with the adjustment feature of the original, but don't want the wheel to be any closer to the driver than the furthermost potion of the original.

From what I have bee able to determine, the Nardi wheels are really nice, but the hub adapter brings the wheel closer to the driver.

Any informed recommendations from someone who has addressed this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Roger

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
I am running a Mota lita hub and a 15" wheel from Moss Motors.
Mota lita makes a hub just for the Sunbeam Alpines and is closer to the dash, and the horn works. I am also running a flat wheel, this set-up gives me over two inchs more room over the RX7 hub with a dished wheel I was running.
https://www.moto-lita.co.uk/
RX7 set-up
DSCN1553-L.jpg

Mota Lita set-up.
DSCN2323-L.jpg

IMG_3227-L.jpg

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
I am running a Moto Lita hub and wheel that I got from Sunbeam Specialties years ago. Fits perfectly. I did have to cut the tip of the adjusting rod and add a nut. So, it's still adjustable. But I have take out the horn button to do it.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Alpine steering wheel.jpg
    Alpine steering wheel.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 110

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
As to going all the way forward, I actually ended up moving it back a bit for more clearance above the thighs. Since the legs angle up towards the front, the farther forward the wheel, the closer it is to the legs.

crs

Gold Level Sponsor
I am also using the Moto Lita hub and wheel and the adjustment feature can be used by removing the horn button. :p

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
The RX7 Grant 3 bolt adapter/#3597 is much shorter than the one in the picture. You then need a 1/2" thick adapter to go to a 5,6 or 9 bolt wheel. Grant adapter $30. Other adapter $15-20 on Ebay.