• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Steering gearbox cracked

James7

Silver Level Sponsor
So after putting an engine in this 67 alpine I drive it for the first time and the steering clunks around up thru the column, box is dry inside and discovered housing cracked. SS in CA helped me find a used box for $150 with column. Has anyone changed a box without removing engine? Shop manual gives a procedure. Does anyone sell remanufactured? Thanks

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
James, I may be possible to get the column out with the engine in the Alpine, But you will need to remove the radiator for sure.

I don't know of anyone that does the remanufacture.

You may take your old one apart carefully recording minute details od what goes where and repair/replace worn or suspected parts such as ball bearings. There are two different sizes and you can purchase them from mcMasterCarr.

Stay tuned there will be others with suggestions that will be of benefit to you.

Knightowl61

Gold Level Sponsor
Doug and I had 2 early series boxes crack at the upper corners possibly caused by the longer screws in the wrong place. You could see the crack open when locking the wheel. Doug took the boxes to a welder (aluminum) that seemed to do the trick

alsalp

Donation Time
I just went through this. I had to pull my v6 out. I don't know about leaving the 4cyl in or not. I reconditioned/rebuilt my replacement unit. Before you install the replacement I'd open it up and inspect the bearing races. If they are pitted or the worm gear is bad then there is no point. There are no kits to renew them. All that you can buy are balls and an o ring for the bottom. These always leak when the seal gets brittle. I had two bad boxes that I harvested the shims from. I followed the Rootes manual on how to preload the bearings with a dial indicator, shims, and shim gasket material. I actually made it a little looser that the book because of "feel" on the bench. I haven't put it in the car yet. the upper bearing was cleaned and greased. I don't know of replacements. I have seen on the forum where the box was machined for a lip seal. I'm using a "flowable grease" that will flow in the bearings and is less likely to leak past the o ring. Messy, tedious but not a complicated job

alsalp

Donation Time

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
James,
The steering boxes on a n Alpine are only just up to the job. If people turn the wheel when the car is stationary it is quite easy to crack the box. For a while people were trying to fit various kinds of power assistance to Alpines but a lot of boxes cracked as a result. Peter Pescud in the U.K. has developed a support bracket for the steering box that will reduce the likelihood of cracking.
The steering box is similar to that used on certain Alfa Romeos. Alfa enthusiasts have developed a much stronger steering box for their cars. (I've only seen photos though).
These notes by Chris Barker from a few years ago might be of use (remember this will relate to a Right Hand Drive Car).
Good luck
Tim R

steering_box2606s.jpg

Attachments

• Steering Box v2.pdf
    324 KB · Views: 24

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Tim, Is the steering box in the picture depicting the "bracket" that Peter Pescud in the U.K. has developed ?

If so, how do I get in touch?

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
Dan,
No the steering box in the photos is of an uprated box that is being sold for Alfas in Europe. I have tried to get a photo of Peter's new support bracket but I can't find one.
Tim R

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Can you provide him my contact info, perhaps he will be willing to discuss what he has with me.

Have you heard anything about the uprated box that is being sold for Alfas being adoptable to our Alpines?

I like the looks of the top piece with the supports included for the front (?) and back (?) of the housing.

Sure gives me some ideas