• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Steering Gearbox and Wheel - Rebuild or Other Options?

CV428

Donation Time
During disassembly for a full restoration, I had to pull the original steering gearbox. In the extremely brief 200 feet that I drove this car before disassembly, I didn't feel any excessive play in the gearbox and it was a low mileage car to begin with so I am hoping the gearbox isn't worn or damaged. I had to crack the 3 shaft flange bolts loose to pull the assembly out of the engine bay and the oil appeared to be clean too. I have watched videos on rebuilding these and I may give that a shot to start. In the event that this becomes an issue, what are my options? Are there any reputable rebuilders that this can be sent to for inspection and rebuild? I cannot seem to find any originals for sale anywhere, but I have read that this same gearbox was used in other mfg's vehicles in the same time period- is that true? Are there any aftermarket options? Any issues with the "Spheerol" fill approach?

As for the steering wheel, the original one I pulled is cracked in several places. I think I can refurbish it to a degree. Most of the older forum posts refer to aftermarket wheel hubs that are either discontinued or impossible to find. Can anyone point me in the right direction for a hub adapter that matches the spline shaft? Any words of caution?