• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Steering box rebuilding

sunbby

Past SAOCA President
Donation Time
So one of my options for an Invasion tech session is rebuilding a steering box.

I have the box removed from our Series V, and I can bring it to the Invasion to go over.

Does anyone have pointers about rebuilding one? I think I even have new ball bearings I ordered sometime ago.

What about replacing the bushings? I assume I might have to get a machine shop to do that, in which case I can try to get that done beforehand.

I've also seen replacement bearing races on eBay, any opinions on the need for those?

What all parts do I need?

Any and all suggestions welcome.

Gitnrusty

Donation Time
Every few weeks I open the box that contains the accidentaly dissasembled parts of my steering box :eek:
Then I decide to attack that job later. I still have a long way to go before it needs to be fitted to the car.
I did get a few encouranging replys to a post I made several months back about it but havent tackled it yet, so I'm unable to help!

Jeb Stuart

Platinum Level Sponsor
I too have a worn box. I bought a used one but it turned out to be just as worn. Tried many of the suggestions from this forum. I am told once the worm is worn there is no cure - and they are all worn. Keep us posted.