• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

steering box leak

Acollin

Donation Time
Please forgive me if this questions highjacks the thread but it sounds like things have concluded and this question relates-- at least in my mind.

How does lithium grease work as a lubricant in the 4 speed non overdrive transmission of a series V sunbeam alpine?

Should I begin a new thread?

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
You don´t want to use any kind of grease in the transmission. The subject is steering boxes, which do not see a lot of internal heat build up from friction forces, like is encountered in a transmission. Lithium grease is used in a steering box because it is thin enough to lubricate the steering gear and reciprocating balls in it, but is thick enough to not leak out past the wimpy O ring seal the factory uses to retain the oil in the box.

For the transmission use gear oil 90W.

Jose

Please forgive me if this questions highjacks the thread but it sounds like things have concluded and this question relates-- at least in my mind.

How does lithium grease work as a lubricant in the 4 speed non overdrive transmission of a series V sunbeam alpine?

Should I begin a new thread?

Gary T

Gold Level Sponsor
Transmission Oil

90W is not correct for the Sunbeam 4 speed transmission. WSM recommends Shell 30W engine oil above 10 Deg.F and lighter engine oil if the temperature is lower.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Gary, you are right. I don´t have much experience withstock Alpine running gear, so was just using what is normally (used to be) used in American transmissions.

Just wanted to say that grease is not indicated for use in any transmission that I know of.

Jose

90W is not correct for the Sunbeam 4 speed transmission. WSM recommends Shell 30W engine oil above 10 Deg.F and lighter engine oil if the temperature is lower.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

P. Scofield

Bronze Level Sponsor
I took mine all apart and put a new "O" ring in the bottom. Been running heavy 90 W Oil in it ever sinse and never had a problem. I think the leak mainly comes for the bottom where the steering shaft exits. Lets face it, a little fifty year old O-ring should not last that long. Ever.

Hodee

Donation Time
steering box fluid

This is an old thread but informative. My steering box is only about 1/3 full and has a leak. I plan to fill with Lithium EP2 grease but wonder if it is necessary to drain/remove the remaining fluid beforehand.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
This is an old thread but informative. My steering box is only about 1/3 full and has a leak. I plan to fill with Lithium EP2 grease but wonder if it is necessary to drain/remove the remaining fluid beforehand.
No, the steering box is self draining. How convenient!

Bill

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
If you are suffering from leaks you can fit additional 'O' rings. I currently have 4 squeezed above the arm and beneath the metal washer that holds the original O ring. I put them in place with plenty of modern silicone sealer and (Touch Wood!) it is oil tight. I use EP140 steering box oil.

When I have had problems removing tight arms from the steering box shaft I stick a soldering iron in each of the holes in the arm. Leave them until the whole arm is good and hot. Place a jack under the end of the shaft (it MUST be supported), then spray liquid ice onto the shaft. It should come apart quite easily then.
Tim R