• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Steering Box Color??

alpine1963

Diamond Level Sponsor
I am installing a rebuilt steering box in my Alpine in the morning and I believe it should be gloss black but wanted to make sure. After I cleaned it all the paint came off (it actually looks pretty darn good in the silver. Should it be gloss or flat black or maybe not painted at all?

Cheers,

alpine1963

Diamond Level Sponsor
I was speaking to a Jaguar enthusiast today whom happens to be a national concours judge for Jags. He swears there has to be some archives on our cars that will tell us all of these answers. Did Rootes not make any records? The dealers had to know exactly what was painted so they could stock the paint or the factory had to have had records. It's hard to beleive they were that reckless in running a business. Or maybe Chysler destroyed them! It will go back gloss black Saturday morning after I get her prepped unless someone knows that is wrong. It does appear that we think they were all painted.

Cheers,

Limey

Donation Time
Hi,,

The old guys in The Brit SAOC say that the steering was a satin black - 70% gloss.

My 2 pence worth :D

P. Scofield

Bronze Level Sponsor
It's a VERY complicated combination of blacks. Not gloss, not semi and not flat. The only one who really knows the formula is Jan. Get with him for a sample or recipe. :)

Paul

I am installing a rebuilt steering box in my Alpine in the morning and I believe it should be gloss black but wanted to make sure. After I cleaned it all the paint came off (it actually looks pretty darn good in the silver. Should it be gloss or flat black or maybe not painted at all?

Cheers,

alpine1963

Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks guys, The steering box has now been rebuilt, painted gloss black (only 30% off lol) and put back in the car. It would be nice to have these formulas placed somewhere that they can be accessed for those of us that want to go by to factory specs the best we can.

BTW, I now have a parts steering box that I robbed to rebuild this one. If anyone needs bearing etc. let me know.

Cheers,

Dusty Bin

Donation Time
I was speaking to a Jaguar enthusiast today whom happens to be a national concours judge for Jags. He swears there has to be some archives on our cars that will tell us all of these answers. Did Rootes not make any records? The dealers had to know exactly what was painted so they could stock the paint or the factory had to have had records. It's hard to beleive they were that reckless in running a business. Or maybe Chysler destroyed them! It will go back gloss black Saturday morning after I get her prepped unless someone knows that is wrong. It does appear that we think they were all painted.

Cheers,

Just a quick note, If you log on to the S.A.O.C. UK website:-

www.saoc.demon.co.uk

there is a link to the ROOTES ARCHIVE, they can be contacted to verify most things Rootes.

Rootes Archive Centre,
Westcott Venture Park,
Aylesbury,
Bucks. HP18 0XB

As you may have to write to them.

Hope this helps

alpine1963

Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks for that info!! I will give that a try and see how they respond and what we can get. I'll let everyone know what I find out from them.

Cheers,

alpine1963

Diamond Level Sponsor
Well, I have been al over the Rootes Archive site looking for basic information like color codes etc. and it appears the site is not being kept up. I was going to even join the "trust" and send a donation but the last information asked to send it in by 2007?? Send them money now and there is no telling where it might end up. I have also sent an email to the archive person asking for certain info. It will be interesting to see how they respond and if it is helpful. If you want to get lost in never never land go to our Sunbeam Archive site.

http://www.rootesarchivecentre.org/

Cheers,