• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Starter troubles

C

CrosleyCrew

My husband and I are new to the Sunbeams. We have a 1960 Alpine. It needs total restoration. At this point, my husband is simply trying to remove the starter and cannot get a long bolt that runs through the starter into the bellhousing off. Any suggestions would be very helpful. My husband is very mechanically inclined but this has him frustrated.

Thank you Thank you Thank you!

CrosleyCrew

AlpineIan

SAOCA Founder
The starter bolts are long enough to pass through the bellhousing flange and engine block. They have a nut on the back side. It's easiest to remove it by either removing the intake manifold or from underneath the car. Good luck!

Jeb Stuart

Platinum Level Sponsor
Go w/ Ian's advice. I replaced my starter not long ago. Once you get the bolts undone it can be diffucult to pull the starter out, it keeps hanging up on something. Removing the headers from the engine will give you the room to move the starter this way or that for it to come out. Cursing and throwing tools across the garage from time to time seems to help too.