• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Starter Testing

Eleven

Platinum Level Sponsor
How do I test the starter with my multi-meter for how much it is drawing? If it is drawing more that it should, that will reduce available power to ignition, right?

RootesRacer

Donation Time
With your multi-meter, not so much.
You can tell if the windings/brushes are open and not much else.

To measure the starting current, you will need a DC amp-clamp that can measure upwards of 200amps.
Cheap meters may have an amp-clamp, they are nearly always AC (you need DC).

You can measure the battery voltage sag, but often this tells how good or not good your battery is (battery internal resistance).
If while starting you keep the voltage above 9v, you are doing OK.

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Tracy, Measure the battery voltage at the solenoid, where the cable from the battery connects with no load, nothing turned on. It should be about 12.6 V or so if it's fully changed. Then measure at that same point while the starter is cranking. It should not drop further than to about 9 V ( I think) , which should be enough to supply the ignition system. If it drops lower than that you might have, in no particular order. :
1) weak battery,
2) bad starter
3) bad cable from battery- easily tested by measuring voltage at the battery posts - right on the lead posts- while cranking. If more than a 0.5 V (I think) higher than when measured at the solenoid, then cable or connections may be bad.
4) Bad connections to battery posts. Measure voltage between each battery post and its clamp, should be just about 0.0 V.

Note: my "I think" numbers may be off a bit. It's been a while since I actually measured these on my, or any, car. But gives you a sense of what to look for.

Tom