• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Starter solenoid terminals get HOT!

the_elder_rocker

Silver Level Sponsor
Hi folks-
Been tinkering with the 67. Battery is good. Engine turns over well. It runs on squeeze gas or carb cleaner no prob. Solenoid terminals and positive cable gets smokin hot! Not too much cranking before it does. Pulled starter, bushings sloppy. Of course the bushings I ordered are not right. Had a spare starter in the boot of a rough MGA, bench tested fine tighter than the one on the car. Installed it, hit the key, cranks fine, no joy. Hot as a pistol. First place to look?
Thanks in advance for any tips.
Mike Burgess

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Most likely a poor connection where the cable attaches to the solenoid. Unbolt the cable, clean the surfaces with emery cloth or sandpaper and reconnect. If that does not solve the problem the problem may be internal to the solenoid.

Tom H

Gordon Holsinger

Diamond Level Sponsor
Hi folks-
Been tinkering with the 67. Battery is good. Engine turns over well. It runs on squeeze gas or carb cleaner no prob. Solenoid terminals and positive cable gets smokin hot! Not too much cranking before it does. Pulled starter, bushings sloppy. Of course the bushings I ordered are not right. Had a spare starter in the boot of a rough MGA, bench tested fine tighter than the one on the car. Installed it, hit the key, cranks fine, no joy. Hot as a pistol. First place to look?
Thanks in advance for any tips.
Mike Burgess
It could be jus the connections need to be cleaned, check your cable carefully I have seen cables with a lot of corrosion internally, from moisture it will create a high resistance connection!