• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

start up issue

gspd18

Donation Time
What should my starting point be for tuning my zeniths? Where should my top adjustment be and the lower?

gspd18

Donation Time
If I prime it with the throttle first it starts but revs really high it seems. Cant seem to get enough fuel to it without pumping first. Should I let it run and see if it backs down? Dont want to grenade the engine, it started at a reasonable rpm befor, havent changed anything but finishing the header

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
Not trying to be a smart alec, but do you have the workshop manual? I think there's a basic procedure in there.

And is this a previously-running car, fresh carb rebuilds, or ??
(I apologize if I missed some posts on this...)

Make sure the throttle linkage is "off" when the pedal is not depressed, too.
Make sure linkages allow both carbs to close, etc.
What's the condition of the rest of your fuel system?

gspd18

Donation Time
Car was running, or atleast firing up normally. I havent replaced my rusted fuel lin from the tank yet. borrowing the riding lawnmower tank to feed the fuel . I do not have the shop manual. My rear carb had a stuck accelerator pump, I repaired it seemed to start and run fine, been sidetracked with other projects, pulled the intake to build the exhaust manifold, assembled and now it seems to rev all the way up at start. I keep shutting it off in fear of breaking something.

gspd18

Donation Time
The throttle plates are closed when the pedal isnt depressed, there is slack in the linkage, and I have both plates matched.

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
Shop manual is all kinds of warm fuzzy goodness. Highly recommended.
Hey look!
http://www.sunbeamalpine.org/downloads/WSM 145 SV Manual/6 Fuel System (C-1).pdf

(from this site, Technical Data)

In that section is care and feeding of the 150, including target idle speed (900 ish) and how to set the idle speed (not a screw, but a clearance-checking "procedure") and where the fast idle speed for cold starting (which I believe is your issue... pg 56.)

Check it out, I think it'll help.

Most folks can't keep it running when "waking up" a car. So you're ahead of the game a little. Your caution is good, though.

gspd18

Donation Time
Thanks, good info. Not my carbs tho mine are wip 3. Took the carbs down, im missing the ball in the rear carb.. For the accelerator pump valve. Anyone know what size it is or where to get one. Also dont think my fuel pump is pumping.

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
That carb is listed in other sections of the manual, as well as fuel pump delivery volume/pressure tests, rebuild instructions, and the use of shims/packing when mounting pump to the block to influence delivery volume. Recommended reading... Printed versions (more convenient) can be bought from Sunbeam Specialties or Classic Sunbeam, but the online PDF version is what you need to check out for your quick answers.

Resist the temptation to fit a modern electric fuel pump as step one of your troubleshooting, as there are other issues that can present the same symptoms... mainly fuel tank "sloughing" of internal paint, which clogs up the feed tube well before the pump. Most modern pumps are high pressure EFI pumps, where the Alpine wants to see something like 3 psi... (Search the site or manual for the exact figure.)