• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

SR 5 GT Dash

mattinoz

Donation Time
I'm currently having my S5 GT dash restored with a fresh Burl Walnut veneer. I've seen a few photo's of similar dashes and they seem to have the switch label decal fixed directly to the dash whereas mine has the metal escushion labels. Mine is a mid 66 GT B395008133. Was this original or did a change occur?

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
I had thought all wood dashes had the white lettering under the varnish, but I could be wrong?

alpine_64

Donation Time
I had thought all wood dashes had the white lettering under the varnish, but I could be wrong?

I believe this to be the case, however the later SV GT's had the walnut veneer on the plastic.. so maybe they put labels.. but i think as a rule i would assume the traqnsfered text...

as for getting the text there was a tiger guy Paul B (cant remeber his last name) doing the letters in a transfer, Jim Stone posted his contact details about 2 days agi in another thread

RootesRich

Donation Time
Our pre-production SV, which happens to be a GT came from the factory with the walnut veneer dash and the labels so Rootes was already thinking about a change even before the 1st SV rolled of the line.

mattinoz

Donation Time
If its a Bakerlite/Walnut Dash it has switch escutcheons, first introduced Series IVa B94100352.

Well that'll be mine then. Bakerlite/walnut.:D Thanks for the clarification. BTW where does all this details info come from. Is it just collective knowledge or is it documented somewhere?

John Boggis

Donation Time
Our pre-production SV, which happens to be a GT came from the factory with the walnut veneer dash and the labels so Rootes was already thinking about a change even before the 1st SV rolled of the line.

Rich,your pre-production series V sounds a very interesting car,one which I would like to research when I go to the Archive centre in a few weeks time.
Do you think you could let me have a photo of the Vin tag ,so i can take it with me. John

RootesRich

Donation Time
Rich,your pre-production series V sounds a very interesting car,one which I would like to research when I go to the Archive centre in a few weeks time.
Do you think you could let me have a photo of the Vin tag ,so i can take it with me. John

I would appreciate that John. We've contacted them in the past and were told there are no records of our car, but I suspect they have to have some information.

What you'll see on the VIN tag is some additional numbers which is the build spec. I'd love to get my hands on that info to translate it.

Thanks again for the kind offer. Photos will be e-mailed shortly.