• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

sprung or unsprung clutch disk???

the ghoul

Donation Time
hi all,
I was looking over the parts i need to replace for my 1600cc series 3 non-overdrive 4 speed , and a question came up....
It looks like some one put the wrong clutch disk in the car. the flywheel bolts were trashed and one of the springs in the clutch disk was mangled... now im not the smartest man in the world but I was able to gather that the spring from the clutch disk must be sticking out too far and trashed the heads of the bolts on the flywheel...
either that or
some one replaced the flywheel bolts with ones that have too high of heads and that trashed the clutch disk springs.
any one know which one of these is the case?
did the 1600 series 3's have sprung or unsprung clutch disks?

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
Yes, it could be the wrong friction disk. It could be one of the springs failed and pieces got lodged between the flywheel & disk.
I would replace those flywheel bolts and the friction disk. Also, the disk could be assembled backwards, but I don't think its possible.

Jim E

Donation Time
I like the Volvo dics and MGB pressure plate set up, the volvo disc is pretty cheap to buy and you can get it at the corner parts house. This is an 8 1/2 inch disc with the 1 inch by 10 spline hub, reman they sell for maybe a third of the price for an alpine disc. This disc was used on 140 series volvos and some 240s. The Volvo pressure plate will also bolt up but it does not have the reciever for the carbon throw out bearing, so you would need to go to a roller style throw out. The early MGB pressure plate has the reciever for the carbon throw out bearing. Note I have not seen this style pressure plate at any of the local parts places but they are fairly common on ebay and you can order one thru any place that sells MGB stuff, Moss or the like. The MGB and Volvo pressure plates look to be lighter than the Alpine unit. This clutch set up does not fit the SI fly wheel nor the small later unit found on most SV. I have found this set up to hold very well and have smooth operation. The important thing if going this route is test fitting everything on the floor of the shop for proper throw out bearing release arm travel, you may need to switch the pivot block or release arm or both to get the travel right... and you do not want to find this out with the engine and trans in the car...

the ghoul

Donation Time
Yes, it could be the wrong friction disk. It could be one of the springs failed and pieces got lodged between the flywheel & disk.
I would replace those flywheel bolts and the friction disk. Also, the disk could be assembled backwards, but I don't think its possible.

no I dont think the damage was due to a bad spring. it looks like the spring is just bent in the most odd shape and I dont think any parts came off it...
yeah either way I will replace the bolts (I was suprised I could get them out of there!)

that volvo friction plate sounds intresting. would I be able just to run the stock alpine pressure plate and use the volvo firction plate? or do I have to find an mgb unit?

GTosel

Donation Time
Stock Clutch Disc Installation

The stock clutch disc will only fit one way between the flywheel and the pressure plate.

I do have a clutch disc from my S-II that had visible wear on the rivets in the center of the disc. I wondered why this wear when the disc friction material was almost as thick as a new disc.

What happened is the rivets were installed backward and that it why there was visible wear. I do not know who made the disc, but it would not work properly in that condition.