• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Spring Perchs

britbeam

Donation Time
You guys that have installed the Ford 8" rear diff have you found a source for the spring perchs to weld to the Ford diff for the Alpine springs? Forgive me for being lazy but if you already have a source I would appreceate a headsup.
Dwain V6 Krazy

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Dwain,

You will need to determine if you have a large tube housing, or a small tube housing. They came in two sizes and you´ll need to get the correct ones.

Jose

britbeam

Donation Time
Ive been cleaning up the housing today and I removed the old Ford perchs. Any idea what dimensions the small housing would be?
Dwain V6 Krazy

britbeam

Donation Time
Any idea what the OD of a small tube style would be. My tube measures
2 1/4" at the spring perch area.
Dwain

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
2 1/4" sounds like the small perch - but the determiner is simple. Is your axle a straight tube or necked down for the final few inches at the ends?

Bill

AlpineII

Donation Time
I had my 8" rear end built by Currie's in Anaheim and simply told them where to put the spring perches.

britbeam

Donation Time
I would like to have the option of Currie but the shipping would eat me alive from coast to coast so I gotta use Bubba's down here in Georgia. So I need to supply the perchs.
Dwain

Alan F

Donation Time
Why can't you take them off of the Alpine rear end. That's what the guy who narrowed my rear end did.

Alan

britbeam

Donation Time
Why can't you take them off of the Alpine rear end. That's what the guy who narrowed my rear end did.

Alan

Im sure that can be done I just want new perchs and I would like to keep the Alpine rea diff usable. I belive I can get the perchs from Summit Racing and we have a retail store here in Atlanta area.The axle measures 2 1/4" OD and the spring width is 2 1/4".Thanks for the input from everyone.
Dwain V6 Krazy

AlpineII

Donation Time
Dwain,
I was actually surprised at how little I paid for the whole Currie rear end, with shipping and believe me I am nowehere near Anaheim!! Not in everyone's price-book but I paid less than half, including shipping, what local shops wanted to narrow the Ford 8" rear to fit under the Alpine. And I didn't have to clean off years of crud before painting! :p

britbeam

Donation Time
Dwain,
I was actually surprised at how little I paid for the whole Currie rear end, with shipping and believe me I am nowehere near Anaheim!! Not in everyone's price-book but I paid less than half, including shipping, what local shops wanted to narrow the Ford 8" rear to fit under the Alpine. And I didn't have to clean off years of crud before painting! :p

I spoke with Currie today and it looks like the housing is $299.00 + 60.00 shipping. Did you purchase gears,perchs etc as a complete unit ready to install?What about axles was that part of the assy? I have a clean 8" housing/w gears My local guy will modify my housing for $200.00w/perchs installed. Thanks for the input.
Dwain V6Krazy

AlpineII

Donation Time
Cost is all relative. My problem up here was the limited number of machine shops that would entertain shortening the housing and re-splining the axles. Lowest local price was in the $1,200 range. I bought a complete package, hub to hub, both axles, bearings, spring perches et al. I already had a 4.11 Detroit locker for it. You can actually go to the Currie site and select what you want/need. Prices are all indicated.

Good luck with your project.

britbeam

Donation Time
Dwain, the usual route is to buy a servicable 8" and have the axles and and housing shortened. That usually requires one one new axle and shortening an old one.

I made my perches, welding them up out of angle iron. Moser in Portland, IN charges $125 to shorten the housing. Here is a list of services:
http://www.moserengineering.com/moser/shop-services/

Bill
Thanks for the info Bill I will checkout Moser. Will Moser shorten the axles? What dimensions did you give them to go by? My plan was to take my Alpine rear with my 8" Ford to my local guy and let him match the Ford to the proper Alpine width with the pinion centered.
Dwain V6 Krazy