• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Spring Maintenance

Alpine James

Silver Level Sponsor
Hi All;

I was wondering about what sort of maintenance things should be looked at before putting the car back on the road for the summer. Other than checking the usual fluid levels, is there a list of stuff that should be lubricated or checked on an annual basis? I see in the owners manual that there is supposed to be a chart of such items in the back of the book, but it doesn't appear in my reproduced copy.

Thanks, James

mikephillips

Donation Time
I'm not really familiar with where they all are on an early car but you should look for grease nipples underneath and give each one a squirt or two. There's going to be 3 or 4 per side in the front suspension if it hasn't been swapped for a later setup, the rest of the car you'll just have to look. I'd also change the oil, I do each spring, check fluids as mentioned, check the fule filter if one's been fitted, tire pressure check and a general once over by eye. If I think of more I'll let you know.

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
If you haven't addressed your carbs lately, beware leaks when starting. Over the course of one winter, my 150s went from working fine to leaking like crazy around the deteriorated o-rings on the needle adjustment assembly. The car started, but then leaked all over hmmm, let's see... Hot exhaust manifold, starter, and potentially alternator... no biggie. (Now I always keep an extinguisher close by.)

Check the air in the spare, too.

Ken

Nickodell

Donation Time
Check the color of the hydraulic brake fluid. If it isn't clear, or if it's any darker than straw-colored, indicating deterioration, replace all the fluid in the system. Brakes are rather important.

V_Mad

Donation Time
It depends how well you prepared things for the lay up, and the general condition of the car.

Tyres can get flats; check run out by spinning wheels.

Clutches can stick. Parking brakes can jam if left on.

Check for grease nipples on the steering idler (right side on USA cars) and ball joints.

Alpine James

Silver Level Sponsor
Hi all; Thanks for all the tips so far.
I just replaced the o-rings on the carbs, as they were hemoraging fuel like mad when I parked in the fall. Checking the brake fluid is always a must, as it seems to evaporate from the brake lines when the temperature approaches -40. Don't know how that works, but always happens in really cold winters.

Thanks, James

Pumpkin

Donation Time
Spring start up

Now that every one has let that car sit for a spell, it might be wise to check out that charging system(no not the visa cards).
If not already , disconnect the battery.
Pull the cap off the voltage regulator, inspect the interior. Look for any rust that may have started up and any bi-metal corrosion around the contacts.
Take a fiber style nail file and clean the points just abit. A couple of passes will do. Check the springs.

Now go to that pesky distributor and do the same... The ones with electronic ignition, it won't hurt to look also. Remember grimy oil filters everywhere. Clean it all out with a quick drying spray product specifically for ignitions.

Now inspect the starter system, If you store the car out side, it would do good to remove the cables from the starter,clean fittings with a file or wire brush, then re-install snugly and spray some anti-corrosion protectorate. Remember WD-40 is not a protectorate....! Now check out those known grounded areas, Any where there is a grounding point clean it up good, Some times a ground point is just a screw and it may be painted over,, bad too because the paint may not seal the under side of the screw.
Head lights and tail lights also need to be checked at this time, clean the connectors and pull out the push and turn bulbs, wire brush the copper/brass and the small lead contact. Apply a grease to the bulbs and re-install.

Now put on those safety glasses or face shield,
Finally remove both cables from the battery, remove the battery and set it on a **block of wood, use a pocket knife to scrap around the inside of the connectors to clean them up, it will make them shiny. Then a common pliers griping the post and swung around will clean the post amply. DO NOT ALLOW THE PLIERS TO TOUCH BOTH POSTS AT THE SAME TIME<

That being said, there are special tools for cleaning the battery post......BUT always use gloves and a face shield when dealing with a potential bomb. Battery acid can blind, or explode in a closed space. Use plenty of ventilation. By now you don't smoke, if you are still crazy, just don't do it around the battery.

An added note, I always use a grease on my electrical fittings, The push pull type of connectors can drive you nuts when looking for anon charging system or a light that blinks on and off.
** A block of wood will prevent in discharging a stored battery, and if allow to be in contact with concrete the battery will condensate and leak onto the concrete and corrode the concrete.
Well have fun.
chuck