• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Spray Chrome

JonPiz

Donation Time
My local metal finishers has just imported a new system from the states where the chrome is literally sprayed on. The metal is deposited via a liquid and can be painted onto any surface. My door handles and boot hinges are all pitted and getting these rechromed the traditional way is so expensive with the metal repairs, where as you could just fill the pitted surface with filler and just spray the finish on.

My question is has anyone done this as I understand the results look as good but is no more hard wearing than a painted finish.

RootesRich

Donation Time
If it's similar to the system I've seen, it's a layer of sprayed on real metal between a base coat and top coat.
I used it on an architectural project a couple of years ago and from a couple of feet away it looked nice. I doesn't seem to have the bluish tint of real chrome or the deep luster. The best way to describe it would be the chrome pieces in a plastic model.
As far as durability, it's painted obviously so it doesn't wear as well as the real deal. I don't know if I'd personally use it on a daily driver just because of the durability issue.

Hope this helps.

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
I have seen the video on this.Your base coat needs to be perfect and then clear coated.You can then spray this on and you need a few coats of clear.Very expensive material.On one of those car shows they did the roof of a car for that musician with the long grey beard.
As to handles etc it is more likely to be less expensive and buy new than rechrome.

AlpineII

Donation Time
I have seen this coating used locally on a couple of show-cars to give the entire car that "chromed in copper" look. Very nice but expensive.

RootesRich

Donation Time
Google "Spectra Chrome" or "Spray On Chrome" is you want to see the process. This is similar to what I used.

Like I said it worked for my architectural application, and the price was less than having the pieces traditionally chromed, but I'd have to think about using it on my cars especially in areas where I had real chrome adjacent to the paint application.

Jon, I'd have your local shop work up a sample for you so you can see it in person. If you like it, go for it.

miket

Donation Time
Cuck the musician was one of the members of ZZ Tops (Bobby or Ronnie??). This car was on the discovery channel this week. Apparently they first paint the surface black, clear coat and buff it etc. Then when the surface is perfect they spray in the chrome product.

They were doing it to a caddy, so i wasn't very interested. I didn't see he end result.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Techline Coatings:
http://www.techlinecoatings.com/retailprice.htm

Has a product called ColorCoat Stainless. It is a water base ceramic coating that is sprayed on and when dried, can be buffed up with steel wool to look like stainless steel. I am about to order some. They will sell this to anyone, about thirty bucks for 4 oz. The only other thing I can say is the web site does not offer a lot of info.

Bill

sammaw@bellsout

Silver Level Sponsor
We now have a guy in Spartanburg doing the cosmichrome process. I went buy his place and looked at some samples he had. It looked good, but there was a slight hue difference. I think they can adjust that to some degree with colorant in the clear coat. He told me it would cost around $200.00 to do a bumper for the alpine, but off course that was a non-commited est. since I didn't have the bumper with me.

So a year has passed since this thread started, has anyone tried it? How do you like the results?

Sam

RootesRich

Donation Time
So a year has passed since this thread started, has anyone tried it? How do you like the results?
Sam

Funny this thread resurfaced (no pun intended). I was out last weekend photographing some past architecture projects I worked on and the Spectra Chrome we used had aged to the point it looked 20 years old. Apparently the Colorado sun can do a number on the finish.

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
Cuck the musician was one of the members of ZZ Tops (Bobby or Ronnie??). This car was on the discovery channel this week. Apparently they first paint the surface black, clear coat and buff it etc. Then when the surface is perfect they spray in the chrome product.

They were doing it to a caddy, so i wasn't very interested. I didn't see he end result.

Billy Gibbons and Dusty Hall. Gibbons is the car collector.

tony perrett

Gold Level Sponsor
I wouldn't risk $200 of my money to have a bumper treated - what would it cost to have it electroplated? Bear in mind that you can buy 2 bumpers & 4 over riders in stainless + the 4 rubber buffers for about $800.

AlpineII

Donation Time
Wish you could get them with the earlier over-rides use on Series I, II and 3. But I have no uise for the over-riders offered with them.

65beam

Donation Time
chrome

just looked at a set of the stainless bumpers. they are about half the thickness of original bumpers and appear to be three pieces welded together, ground down and polished. not stamped out like originals. they also have round holes for the bolts, which poses a real problem for installing and adjusting. the over riders may also be a problem to install. for what they cost, it would be much better to have a shop replate originals which may be much better than spraying a coating. has anyone stated the life of the spray coating?

alpine_64

Donation Time
just looked at a set of the stainless bumpers. they are about half the thickness of original bumpers and appear to be three pieces welded together, ground down and polished. not stamped out like originals. they also have round holes for the bolts, which poses a real problem for installing and adjusting. the over riders may also be a problem to install. for what they cost, it would be much better to have a shop replate originals which may be much better than spraying a coating. has anyone stated the life of the spray coating?

Someone on the board said they had purchased a set.. i thought they said the holes on the ends were as per oroginal (i only think they said this as in the photos i had seen i commented it looked as thought they didnt have the holes at all) As for thickness.. i think we all hope they dont come into play.. and if they do.. not sure the originals help that much.

As for spray chrome.. i think life cycle would depend very much on environment. Exposure to sun, dust/dirt, chemicals when washing. We had a presentatyion by a similar company at our local club 2 years back.. i thought it was an interesting product.. but perhaps best suited for internal parts.. ie: gauge trim rings, interior door pulls, rear view mirrors etc.. and generaly protected low contact parts.

65beam

Donation Time
chrome

michael,
i was at the shop yesterday and looked at them again. the bolts holes are round. the shop that is working on my car has an alpine that took a front end hit and required some extensive repairs including a bumper. the stainless were delivered about a month ago. there also is no flex to them as per the originals. also no bracket welded in the over riders. what i saw is what i said. i would spend the same money to replate originals rather than buy these.

AlpineII

Donation Time
I have been watching these bumpers carefully since they came out and really want to hear back from those who have purchased them. The enviromental laws and the closing of most of the plating shops up here, was resulting in a cost of almost a grand per bumper and I had it done on my Series II. But I am reluctant to go that route again and have been hopng these stainless steel ones would be a good news story!