• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Spindle nut torque wrench setting ?

beijing_ken

Donation Time
Hi All,

Can anyone out there in Sunbeamland please tell me the spindle nut torque wrench setting on a series 4 ?

I can't seem to find a listing ?

Thanks,

Ken

PS - I am mounting some Wilwood disc brakes today.:)

beijing_ken

Donation Time
Thanks Ken - great name by the way !! Ha Ha !!

I will look into getting the new hubs on after lunch ! :cool:

Ken

CRBASIN

Donation Time
I just installed new wheel bearings. I thought the WSM said something like, '15-20 foot-pounds and then back off by 1 to 1 1/2 flats'. Did I make a mistake?

John

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
According to the manual, torque and tweak gets you thru the first paragraph. So you're almost there.

Paragraph 2 would like you to check the end float of the assembled hub and bearing, with a target of between .002 and .007 inches, as mentioned on pg. 22 of General Data, WSM 124 for the OP's SIV.

Up to you, ultimately. But it's not a hard measurement to make.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Adjust.jpg
    Adjust.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 46

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Don't make this harder than it needs to be! :cool:

Yeah. I have gotten by pretty good by tightening the nut until the wheel is obviously too tight, then back off until it spins freely. Shake the wheel to make sure there is no lateral movement. That is pretty much what the "book" method does.

Bill

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
Last edited: