• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Speedi- Sleeve and Hub Puller tool

whoizrob

Donation Time
I would like to speak with anyone who has used the speedi sleeve product to correct a leaking rear axle seal. My right sided seal has gooped up the rear drum like you wouldn't believe and I'd like to take care of that so I don't ruin my new brake shoes and drum. Specifically I'd like to reconfirm the part number used #99199. I would also like to better understand what is required to install them. Thanks!

Next question is for those with wire wheels. I am looking for a comercial hub puller I can purchase which is not too pricey but will work. I've seen a bunch of DIY tools which look awesome but I don't want to sacrifice a perfectly good knock off to cobble one up, nor can I weld/machine so I can't make my own. A good cheap alternative is sought. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Rob

whoizrob

Donation Time
Thanks Jan...

I'll look up the OTC puller, what was the relation of the link you posted? (just looked it up and OUCH!)

OK, plan B. I've heard of some people taking their spinners, drilling a hole in them, braising a nut on the inside and then threading a rod through it to make a DIY puller. I have some friends who weld so the may be an issue if I can find a couple mucked up spinners some one doesn't mind parting with. Question is, I thought the spinners were made of a pretty soft metal so this seems like a poor solution at best. Any thoughts?

I just need to get the darn hubs off to resurface the rotors and redo a rear oil seal!

Rob

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
You can often rent those OTC pullers from auto stores and tool rental places. I have one, only because I used to sell OTC tools when I worked for a tool wholesaler, but they are pretty dang expensive to buy if you're not going to use it often.

Derek

Donation Time
Rob, I bought this a couple of years ago, and it got my hubs off fine, the left popped right off, the right, well that took 2 days. It's not OTC but is only $55 and I've only used it the one time, and hope not to use it again for a long while.

Stars and Stripes Tool

http://sastool.com/automotive.html?cat=44

Regards Derek

Dzynr_Ron

Silver Level Sponsor
My effort to pull hub only to change wheel studs, is progressing slowly,
just as in Jims pic in article, I want to pull the hub and have a puller at the ready, but cant get the nut loose !! :) well right side came off fairly easy but left (drivers) side won't budge, lots of penetrating fluid, tapping on wrench to no avail, may rent an impact wrench... it is normal right hand thread isn't it ? R

greenbean

Donation Time
It sounds like Jim Ellis article was done on a Series 3. Has anyone done an article on a Series V or is basically the same (please clarify "basically" if you can.

Thanks much

altered

Donation Time
My effort to pull hub only to change wheel studs, is progressing slowly,
just as in Jims pic in article, I want to pull the hub and have a puller at the ready, but cant get the nut loose !! :) well right side came off fairly easy but left (drivers) side won't budge, lots of penetrating fluid, tapping on wrench to no avail, may rent an impact wrench... it is normal right hand thread isn't it ? R
Ron,
I am in the process of pulling my axles and ran into the same thing you are. The nuts are really tight the whole way off. I thought I was stripping the threads but they are fine. They are both right hand threads. I put the rear wheels on and it made it easier to hold while backing the nuts off.

Trevor

Dzynr_Ron

Silver Level Sponsor
I got the axle nut loose, wedged a breaker bar in between wheel studs and ground to prevent rotation then had to stand on my ratchet handle to loosen. Now I battle with pulling hubs off. Puller is cranked up, tapping on it, spraying penetrating oil in, still no luck. not keen to try heat as may ruin grease in bearings behind... Ron

Hillman

Gold Level Sponsor
In Jim's article it looks like he's using a 2 post puller. The ones linked are 3 post and 4 post are available. Any opinions on what is needed, best etc.

whoizrob

Donation Time
Trevor...

Thanks for the offer. I'll be trying Al's axle pull and vise method but if that fails I'd love to take you up on your offer. Thanks!

Rob

agmason54

Donation Time
Hub puller

Being a 'DORK'.....
Mine come off when I 'WHALE' on the puller. I take a full swing with my heaviest club.It is very pleasing when it lets loose.Smack it!!!.I only tap mine to hear it 'sing' before I deliver the coup de grais.I don't use heat or lube.It's all Zen...
Agm

Hillman

Gold Level Sponsor
I did one side of my SII the other day. Here in the frozen North, I gave my local NAPA guy the 99199 part number for the Speedi-Sleeve plus a seal number I got here but can't find. I compared the seal to one I had from SS, the SS one was a bit thinner so I used the NAPA one.

Result, time will tell. If it leaks, I'll report back.