• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Spax shocks

Hodee

Donation Time
Anyone have a source for these shocks and info on the performance gains with the adjustable versions. I'm looking for a firmer ride on my front end.

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
QA1 makes adjustable shocks also. 68-69 Camaro. You could try KYB non adjustable Gas-Adjust, somewhat stiffer.

90days

Donation Time
These are the KYB shocks I installed, however my car is still on jack stands so I’m unable to assess their performance at this time. $90.18 free shipping ebay. I did change out the lower bushing on the front shocks with Energy suspension shock bushing 9.8147G $8.12 free shipping ebay.

www.ebay.com/itm/Energy-Suspension-Shock-Bushing-9-8147G/192723781693?epid=236311011&hash=item2cdf3b883d:g:7y0AAOSw~AVYtNtN:rk:7:pf:0

www.ebay.com/itm/Shocks-Chevy-Camaro-For-Pontiac-Firebird-67-69-Front-Rear-Shocks-Struts-KYB/361079905272?epid=1334202288&hash=item54120a1bf8:g:3YcAAOSwTVtZaKui:rk:5:pf:0

Last edited:

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
I've installed KYB shocks on Alpines and I've found them to be pretty firm. These were from
SS and I've never installed shock that I wasn't able to push into position ( with my own strength)
before these.

I spoke with one of my suppliers about shocks and he told me that the Spax are not made by the same company as
they were back in the day, and quality isn't what it used to be either.

He recommended Konis for my car, but they were very expensive, somewhere north of $600. He also recommended
a British shock called Woodhead, or something like that. He said they were made for Alpines and Tigers. never
got back to me on cost though

Sometime over the winter, I'll find out more as I still need to put decent shocks on my car!

Steve

alpine_64

Donation Time
Woodhead and Armstrong made the. In period.

CAT had edelbrock make some sporty shocks for sunbeams a few years back. Might be worth contacting them but youll have to join the club to purchase.

There were Monroe shocks that also worked.. The numbers are in the old forum.

65beam

Donation Time
If anyone is interested in rear air shocks for Alpines I have a set I bought from Wally Swift many years ago. I wonder if the car still has air shocks on it.

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
90days KYB shocks aren't the real stiff ones. KYB Gas-A-Just are. Used to be white, are silver now. The Excel-G are more like the Monroe Sensatrac. Should have a real nice ride.

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
I run KYB Gas-A-Just front & back, and love the ride.
RIMG0589-L.jpg

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
68-69 Camaro are just right for series 4 & 5. If series 3 uses the same setup will work also. Earlier ones would need fabricated mounts and maybe different shocks. You will need to press out the lower bar pin and use different bushings in the front shocks like shown in the links above.

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
If you have a series 1 or 2, I can look up the number for the KYB Gas-A-Just I am using on the front of my series 2 that bolt right in with no mods.