• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Spare Tire Strap on Series II

62SNBMR

Gold Level Sponsor
20190919_151903.jpg 20190919_151945.jpg
I'm looking help concerning the spare tire hold down strap on the Series II. The one off my car is in bad shape and maybe missing parts (metal clip? buckle?). Not exactly sure how it is attached. One end of the strap the loop is torn and appears to be missing a clip or buckle? Or, does the buckle that is bolted down inside the trunk go through that loop? The other end of the strap has just a loop. Is that to put your finger(s) through to grip when tightening?

junkman

Gold Level Sponsor
The open loop goes up to the left around a bracket that has a slot in it. That bracket is spot welded under the door that goes over the spare tire.The other end with the hook goes to a small u clip held on with 2 screws at the lower right part of the spare compartment.

62SNBMR

Gold Level Sponsor
Junkman,
Thanks for responding. I thought about that considering how the loop has been cut. That bracket has sharp edges. The u clip is rounded and would not have cut through the strap so cleanly. What is confusing is that the strap is wider than the opening on the bracket. Leaves me to believe there was some type of hook on that end that attached to the bracket. It makes more sense that it should be reversed because the u clip can be unbolted and slipped through a loop on the replacement strap, with the metal clip attaching to the bracket welded to the cover over the spare tire. However, the metal hook doesn't fit quite right into the that bracket. Think I may just fabricate some type of hook that can be slipped through the loop and attached to the bracket.

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
This photo is from the S2 for sale on eBay now. There is a hook on the end that fastens to the Footman loop shown in the photo.
s-l1600.jpg

beamdream

Gold Level Sponsor
20190924_163358.jpg 20190924_163516.jpg

What I did with mine, found another strap with keyring clips. Had to do this with slightly bigger tyres as original strap wouldn't work.

Don't go without a strap, as I encountered a problem with the unrestrained wheel moving back and jamming the boot closed.