• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Spare tire strap anchors

havealucky

Donation Time
Hi,

Is there someone who could tell me exactly where the holes should be for the spare tire strap on my very late Series 5? I have all the parts and a picture that shows the set up in general but would like to get it exactly right.

At some point the originals were filled in with filler and/or paint. I know the anchor strap is on the left side down low with a staple above the tire and another down and on the right. Perhaps there is a tech link somewhere that has the measurements?

Regards,

Tim

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
If no one beats me to it, I can measure them on my parts car when I get home from work tonight.

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
Are these the holes? This is what's left of a SV (Nov 67) boot...

If so I can do some measurements after the rain stops later today.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
No rain in St. Louis; just snow and way too cold for Alpines! At least I was able to get the measurements for the strap attachments. I just drew them on the photos (my late SV looks rustier than Allan's!). I didn't want to draw arrows over the left side bracket, so I moved those arrows over a bit. I doubt you need to be accurate to the 16th of an inch; the factory probably just put them where they think they belonged.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
Jim,

That's impressive drawing!

I wonder how you did that. Very impressive.

I use the freeware MWSnap to couple two photos into one picture for
posting, after a split screen display in Vuepro, but have no software to draw lines with any precision.

Allan

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Happy to help! It's so rare that someone has a question I can answer. I can, however, wield a mean tape measure.

As for the software, nothing special here. I simply pasted the photos into PowerPoint, drew the lines and added the dimensions, grouped everything, right clicked on the photo, saved the picture as a jpeg file, and imported that into the message. I'd never done that before, so it was trial and error, but pretty simple to do.

havealucky

Donation Time
Jim,

A belated thanks for the great effort you put into helping me out. I am sorry I didn't get back here sooner but between work and Christmas there has been little time for cars or computers. Thankfully Christmas is over and my car projects can resume.

I too am impressed with your considerable computer skills. My teenage geek kid was also surprised and figures you must be under thirty years old. I have printed a copy and will start searching for any existing holes using it as a guide. I have ordered the strap from Rick and look forward to a spare tire that doesn't have a life of its own back there.

I bought a bolt on setup with the flange etc but after thinking it through have decided to keep the car as stock as possible. I allowed myself a wood dash but everything else is as it should be thus far.

Again I thank you and wish a great New Year of Sunbeaming.

Regards,

Tim

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
My teenage geek kid was also surprised and figures you must be under thirty years old.
Your kid just made my day. I'm 55 and have been using PC's at work since the State of NJ bough me an Apple II in 1982. (A job I commuted to in my SV.) I don't think I qualify as a computer geek, but I do have a knack for figuring out ways to make PowerPoint do things others don't think is possible. Probably the same basic skill that has kept my Alpine running all this time.

Series3Scott

Co-Founder/Past President
Platinum Level Sponsor
Forget being impressed by Jim's computer skills - I'm more impressed that he's FIFTY FIVE! Jim, it must be clean living - I would have put you in your forties. :)

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
Jim does take good care of himself and (to use a Southern expression) he is a whole lot smarter than he looks! Sorry Jim.....:) Eric

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks guys. I wish I could take some of the credit for it, but its just good genes. It was a real pain when I was 18 trying to pass for 21, but I've learned to appreciate it now.