• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Spacer or no spacer when mounting Wilwood's brake and clutch master cylinders

beijing_ken

Donation Time
Hi All,

When mounting your aftermarket Wilwood's brake and clutch master cylinders do you use the factory spacer that was in place with the original equipment ?

I have seen one photo on the internet using the spacer with the Wildwood products on a Tiger.

Thanks,

Ken

Attachments

• IMG_1352.jpg
    IMG_1352.jpg
    288.9 KB · Views: 53

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
Depends on what you want for your application,we're using wilwood cylinders 1.25 spacer on the brake .75 on the clutch we've done this to allow the masters to be further forward moves the pedals forward also which is what we're looking for.

Charles Johns

Donation Time
Just make sure the plunger rod is matched to the piston travel in the master. Some spacers work as "fishplates" (firewall stiffeners) while others work as limiters for the rod.

beijing_ken

Donation Time
Perhaps I can clarify things.

Have an aftermarket clutch master cylinder and clutch slave, both from Wilwood.

The stroke on the clutch master cylinder is 1.4 inches, and on the slave it is 1.38 inches; can someone please tell me the stoke on factory clutch master cylinder and slave please ?

My car is an automatic so I have nothing to check ?!

The data from Wilwood is attached.

Thanks,

Ken

Attachments

• slave.jpg
    slave.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 23
  • Screen Shot 2018-09-26 at 2.06.53 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-09-26 at 2.06.53 PM.png
    283.6 KB · Views: 24

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
Your original question was about weather or not to use a spacer not sure what the rest of this stuff has to do with that??????

beijing_ken

Donation Time
The need or lack of need for spacers has a lot to do with how far the original equipment travels in terms of its stroke.

If someone has the data please pass it on.

Thanks,

Ken

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
The pushrod should be adjusted for a little wiggle room in the master. I like around 1/4" free play at the pedal. Same with the slave pushrod, just making contact but not pushing on the throwout bearing until the clutch pedal is depressed.

beijing_ken

Donation Time
Thank you for the advice 260Alpine,

In an effort to help myself, I found an original brake master cylinder and it has a stroke of 1.625 inches; is the clutch master cylinder the same as the brake master cylinder on a stock Alpine ? If so that solves one issue, but I do NOT have a slave cylinder as my car is/was an automatic ~ can anyone tell me the stroke of the stock slave cylinder please ?

With this information I can determine the ideal spacer size, and avoid over stroking or under stroking the clutch hydraulic system and avoid damaging my pressure plate and not need to install a clutch pedal stop.

Thanks,

Ken

beijing_ken

Donation Time
A quick update if you are curious:

Brake Master Cylinder

Factory stroke length: 1 3/8”

Wilwood(.75 bore ~ 260-1304) stroke length: 1.4”

Clutch Master Cylinder
Factory stroke length: 1 ½”

Wilwood(.7 bore ~ 260-6579) stroke length: 1.4”

Clutch Slave
Factory stroke length: 1 ½”

Wilwood(pull type ~ 260-1333) stroke length: 1.38”

Note: factory parts based on chassis # B39502287-on.

A special thanks to Kristine G. at Victoria British for the data on original equipment.

beijing_ken

Donation Time
Just an update, I have heard from another person at Victoria British who says the clutch and brake master cylinder have the same stroke length of 1 3/8".

Both measurements are with 1/8' so not so dire a situation.

Ken