• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Source for 2.8L Rocker shafts?

weaselkeeper

Silver Level Sponsor
I'm assembling an engine and looking for new rocker shafts for a 2.8. Anyone know of a good source? So far, I've had no luck for new ones. NAPA, Shucks, Carquest, Autozone, compcams Jegs, Ford, and others, no luck yet. Used ones I can find, but but the ones I've looked at feel pretty rough and not different than what I took out of the core. I'd rather put new shafts along with all the other new parts this motor has. Rocker arms, I can find, although a little pricey.

I appreciate any help.

Jim E

Donation Time
Send them to Delta Camshaft, they rebuild them surface the tips and do a couple oiling modifications and install a locking adjuster, last time I had it done was $75 plus shipping.

weaselkeeper

Silver Level Sponsor
Jim. Thank you, I'll do just that. After I posted, the machine shop called back and found some new ones in TX, but were nearly $375 for the fully assembled pair. I like your idea much better. Thanks again.

Alan F

Donation Time
I just bought some from Delta and they were $86.00 plus a $42.00 core. I received them Thursday and they look good. I still need to put them on and see how they work. I worked with Scott at Delta he was very helpful and responsive.

Alan

Mod_Squad!

Bronze Level Sponsor
Anyone know if they make a roller rocker we can use?

I remember in my air-cooled VW days that the roller rocker was a big deal. I think it's supposed to be better because it allows for less resistance probably. Anyway, I doubt there are any out there for us unless we share the same rockers as some other engine.

socorob

Donation Time
There's also a rocker mod on the ranger station that's supposed to give less resistance. It replaces the springs with tubes. Has anyone tried that and does it work?

todd reid

Gold Level Sponsor
2.8 rocker shafts

I beleive the mod you are referring to is also discussed in Pruitt's book. No reason why it wouldn't work if done properly, but I'm not sure you would see or feel a noticable difference in street driving. My take away was that it was another way to squeeze another hp or two out of a high revving competition engine.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Todd,

Sven Pruitt is describing how to build a race engine. A race engine is built to get every ounce of power out of it, regardless of cost or effort. For 99.9% of the engines that are going to run on the street, you don´t need to go to these extreems.

A race engine doesn´t have to last 200,000 miles, so doing things that eke out every last bit of horse power, can justify the cost and effort. If you were to build an engine according to Sven Pruitt´s instructions, you will have an exterrmly fast emgine, but it will be a hand grenade. It won´t last 5,000 miles on the street, plus it won´t be much fun to drive on the street.

I have gotten 200+ hp out of a very streetable version of the 2.8 V6. It will run on regular gas and give about 25 mpg. too. Why would anyone want to get maybe 30/40 hp. more and make it a short lived bomb?

The stock valve gear is plenty good for a street engine. I used to buzz my engines to 7,000 rpm., and never had any problems.

Jose

RootesRacer

Donation Time
There's also a rocker mod on the ranger station that's supposed to give less resistance. It replaces the springs with tubes. Has anyone tried that and does it work?

I did this on an alpine engine, which has a similar rocker+spring setup.

Its a bunch of trouble getting the clearances right, and wont yield you a single HP. Its something some people do to insure that the rocker stays where it should at high RPMs.

For all but the most serious engine it would be a waste of time.