• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Something doesn't look right....

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Nothing really huge, looks like a mix of series III and series II.

I am baffled how they got the windscreen from the SII to fit though, IIRC the shape of the sheetmetal beneath is somewhat different from SI and SII cars.

65beam

Donation Time
doesn't look right

looks like a series 3 body,series 2 doors, adjustable steering column , late bumpers , series 2 windshield, etc

norville

Donation Time
That's close to me. overall it doesn't look to bad. I'd take it if it was cheap enough. I don't care for the wood door panels. "Restored???"

My guess is he had 2 and combined them.

bob

bluegrassalpine

Donation Time
I'm new to Alpines and don't have the historical references many on the site have, but isn't that a bonnet emblem on the dash where the clock hole should be?

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
...isn't that a bonnet emblem on the dash where the clock hole should be?

Yes. It looks like a homemade wood dash. I like the see-through glove box.

This is fun; like one of those old "spot the difference between two pictures" games. I'm not usually one who can spot all of the nuances that everyone else sees, but here are the ones that I am noticing: The bumpers are from a SV and aren't those MG wheels and seats? The dash pad is also homemade and might even just be sprayed on the sheet metal. The windshield washer bottle is on the wrong side and the brake fluid reservoir looks wrong to me. The wiring going across the radiator is not only wrong, but looks dangerous.

Beyond the differences, the comment about "No rust on car as seen in underside chassis photo" is a little worrying, given the look of the wheel well on the photo of the car undergoing restoration. Still, depending on the door/windshield thing, it could be a good start at a restorable Alpine. But, I certainly wouldn't want to buy it sight unseen. There is too much potential for getting a seriously botched vehicle.

63 Beamer

Donation Time
I'm guessing that a rear clip from a Series 3 was attached to a Series II body. Somewhat unique I would think.