• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Soft Top Side Covers

SoCal'beaming

Donation Time
I'm in the process of trying to finish the upholstery in the area behind the seats on my 67' SV rescue ... my question is the triangle section of the fold down metal side covers ... Is the upholstery wrapped around that section and glued behind it or is a upholstery card wrapped/glued and then that is glued to that section?
I've seen some covers with two holes in them for upholstery fasteners ... mine has none.

..... Thanks, David

Jimjordan2

Donation Time
David, I have a 67, and I've done my interior, but I'm having a hard time understanding what you want? Fold down Triangles? Got a photo?

alpine_64

Donation Time
David, the hinged metal panels covering the soft top were SI-IV the V had a vinyl cover with zips.

I'm assuming you are asking about the trim that fits to the vertical face of the side folding panels of a series 3-IV

65beam

Donation Time
This photo is my series 4 with the metal soft top covers. Note the two plastic rivets from Sunbeam Specialties.107_0568.JPG

SoCal'beaming

Donation Time
Sorry Guys .... I did a conversion on my SV. A P.O. cut the stock single metal surround out (in pc.s) so I converted it to use the 3 metal soft top covers off a 64/65 Sunbeam instead of putting it back the way it came stock.
Thanks Bob for the pic.s ... Should I assume that it is an upholstered card that is only held in place by those plastic rivets and no adhesive? .... I've got pic.s of several that don't have the holes for the plastic rivets as well as no upholstery there at all with no holes as well. Mine doesn't have the holes and I'd rather not drill these but would like to know how the ones without the holes are upholstered to that triangle section ... is it a upholstery wrapped card that is then bonded to that section or is the upholstery left open on the bottom and then wrapped around that lower edge and bonded on the back. Asking 'cause I've seen many with the rivets that have curled and the other type that have lifted. Looking to make it last without coming apart any time soon, have lots of hr.s into this conversion.

...... Thanks again, David

65beam

Donation Time
Sorry Guys .... I did a conversion on my SV. A P.O. cut the stock single metal surround out (in pc.s) so I converted it to use the 3 metal soft top covers off a 64/65 Sunbeam instead of putting it back the way it came stock.
Thanks Bob for the pic.s ... Should I assume that it is an upholstered card that is only held in place by those plastic rivets and no adhesive? .... I've got pic.s of several that don't have the holes for the plastic rivets as well as no upholstery there at all with no holes as well. Mine doesn't have the holes and I'd rather not drill these but would like to know how the ones without the holes are upholstered to that triangle section ... is it a upholstery wrapped card that is then bonded to that section or is the upholstery left open on the bottom and then wrapped around that lower edge and bonded on the back. Asking 'cause I've seen many with the rivets that have curled and the other type that have lifted. Looking to make it last without coming apart any time soon, have lots of hr.s into this conversion.

...... Thanks again, David
The material is glued to the cardboard panel. On some jobs like this I use 3M spray glue for upholstery, larger panels such as doors and the large door get covered at a local upholstery shop. 107_0595.JPG What you see are the original boards that came on the car. The new material is glued to the panel and is wrapped over roughly a half inch and glued. I used the two rivets and also glued the panel to the metal. Many parts of the interior such as these three panels have survived well due to the car spending a lot of time in the same garage since the 60's.

Mike O'D

Gold Level Sponsor
I have a couple of sets (not SI or S2 style) and neither of them have holes for rivets.

Mike O'D

Gold Level Sponsor
Both sets 100% original. Anyone ever seen reproduction covers? One set is S3 for sure, the other may be as well. Maybe SIV started using rivets. Either that or someone drilled holes in yours.

Attachments

• 20190702_121956.jpg
    20190702_121956.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 16

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
My old Series IV didn't have those panels on the covers and were much like the ones you pictured.
Perhaps someone changed them before I owned it.
I guess you could drill holes, or just glue them to the covers. Not original, but gets the job done!

65beam

Donation Time
Both sets 100% original. Anyone ever seen reproduction covers? One set is S3 for sure, the other may be as well. Maybe SIV started using rivets. Either that or someone drilled holes in yours.
I seriously doubt that Dad drilled holes in them . Facts are, If you check the Sunbeam Specialties catalog you'll see that it says there are 16 of the plastic rivets required. The reason for that is that there are 12 required for the large boot door and two for each side door. Take a look at the photo of my series 4 and count the rivets. According to the parts book these rivets were used on series 3 & 4. Originally there were several colors available.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Mike the early series 3 did not have the external plastic riverts (twin carb and split sear qaub ones in 63) on the 2 side covers but did on the rear panel. By later series 3 they did.

So its likely your soft top side door is from am early S3.

Here is a photo of an early factory spec 3. When the owner was restoring it they found that difference. Also the early s3 road test photos confirm that too.

As a side note i don't have access to the car as it has been since sold interstate. Photos from a few years back.

http://forum.sunbeamalpine.org/index.php?media/cbc-img_6069.3810/full&d=1562136347

http://forum.sunbeamalpine.org/index.php?media/cbc-img_6042.3811/full&d=1562136347

65beam

Donation Time
I wonder if there was a service bulletin issued to retrofit the early series 3 side panels with the rivets after the panels started falling off. The parts book does show them being used on series 3 so the number without the rivets may have been very small. Who knows????

SoCal'beaming

Donation Time
Thanks all for the input ... Leaving mine bare for the time being I guess. When I got the side covers there was a glue line on the back side that's why I asked how they were upholstered.

....... David