• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Soft top fitment

ForzaDesign

Donation Time
I spoke with a local Tiger restoration speciaiist today and he strongly recommended not ordering an aftermarket soft top. In his opinion the fit like s(^*t. He only has the tops custom fabricated. Anyone have experiences good or bad? It was also mentioned that once the windows have been removed from the doors and top frame removed, re-alignment can be difficult. Thoughts!

Thanks,
Jim

V_Mad

Donation Time
I can only say that my aftermarket sodt top was fine.

I would not think the windows need to be in place so long as the soft top frame is fitted, but the frame must be fully checked as straight and in working order. There is some adjustment in the window frame to ensure that windows line up with the frame seals.

Before you commit to fitting the top, place it over the frame and make sure you are happy with it. If it does not fit you should get a refund/replacement from your supplier.

alpine_64

Donation Time
I have a robins hood on both my SII Alpine and MKIA Tiger. The one on the Alpine i am not happy with, but thats because it was fitted poorly IMHO. The one on the Tiger fits well and looks nice.. these are both Vynil.. I have seen a car here with the Robbins Cloth top.. VERY nice and great fit. I think lots of it comes down to how well its installed. If you are having one made, make sure they have a good pattern, the sunbeams tops, as with most thing on them are a little more complex than most oiter cars of the time so people tend to doi them "like an MG, healey etc" The key is to get one with the correct pattern and fit it well. I would be comfortable buying a robbins top.. but take the time to put it on right.. and if your trimmer has not done one before.. either show them the WSM or a car with one fitted right.

George Coleman

Gold Level Sponsor
I have used Robbins tops and have had no problems! Some years ago I tried to save some money and ordered tops from another manf. and they were short all the way around and I had to get the Robbins tops for my cars. Get the good quality ones and do not waste your time:cool:

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
Jim, I have a Robbins top on my S4 as well. I guess it's the most common top that's made for the Alpine/Tiger. I've always installed my own tops and they aren't all that difficult to install.

The only issue I've ever had, and this was after I painted the car was aligning the windshield with the front of the top frame, the part that clips to the windshield frame. You have to have the right distance for the top to clip on. If you remove the windshield to paint you will probably find little rubber wedges under the frame. When you take them out make sure to make reference to where they were as that will get you the correct angle. If they're not there, you can either make your own or use a series of washers to obtain the angle.

Other than that, the top is fairly straight forward to install.

Hope that helps!
Cheers!

Steve

ForzaDesign

Donation Time
Great feedback guys.
Sounds likek the robbins top is the way to go. I didnt find the top installation in the WSM. I'll look again.

The top frame is immaculate and the original top is still in tact except for the rear window is a bit amber on the lower 3-4". When I removed the entire top I was a bit concerned about getting the rear top/boot/seal all riveted back together. What rivets to use, etc..

All this being taken into cosideration, I'll guess my choice would be tackle the challenge myself. As I normally do I take pride in my own work.

Any other comments or installation hints would be great.

Thanks,
Jim

mikephillips

Donation Time
Installing a top isn't that difficult but you need to go slow and watch carefully what you're doing.

First, the 3 alloy strips that hold the top to the back of the cockpit and run along the side should be fastened with pan head sheet metal screws about 1/4 inch or so long. If it has rivets now, someone probably replaced it in the past. You'll also want to have a couple sewing awls or equivilent, screwdriver for the retaining screws, spring clamps to hold the back alloy strip and top to the body while starting the first couple screws and the top to the frame, 1/8 inch dia rivets for the front bow and a bit of chaulk.

What I've done is this.
1 First, remove the seats, it's much easier than crawling over them. Put the top frame up and adjust it to the door windows and windshield frame.
2 Find and mark with the chaulk the center and a couple other holes in the body for the alloy strip. It's easier than trying to find them through the top material and weatherstrip. I mark the drain channel edge so I know where to start. Make a note how high too.
3 Lay the top over the frame. The rear window should be centered and the trunk hinges the same distance from the vertical sides of the window. Use 2 of the clamps at thos point to hold the top to the vertical portion of the fram behind the door windows. Use another couple to hold the front to the front bow.
4 Crawl inside, position the rear alloy strip using the chaulk mark then the awl to punch through to the hole in the body. You may need to feel around for it and if it's too far off the location of the strip pull it out and relocate closer to the hole. Once it's in place use a clamp to hold everything. Using the holes in the alloy strip use the second awl to find a body hole a little ways away on each side. Remove one awl and insert a screw. Do the same thing until you have a couple screws on each end.
5 Once the alloy is held in place by 3 or 4 screws you can remove the clamp and use one awl to find each body hole then drive in a screw. Remember that the rear strip retains the top, the side ones do not.
6 Once that is done you can fasten the sides to the frame, There should be a fabric covered strip on each side with 4 screws through them. The top is sandwiched between them and the frame.
7 For the front bow, mark where the top folds around the front edge with the chaulk. Then lift it up and attach the fabric to the front bow. I usually pull it a quarter inch beyond the chaulk mark to allow for the fact it'll stretch a bit at first. It should fasten under the C channel for the front weatherstrip so those rivets will need to be drilled out and replaced.

That should get the top on. Now, this doesn't address things like earlier tension cables or later velcro, the straps on the frame to prevent sagging, or deatils on getting the frame to fit first. It's just the basics but you should get the idea from it.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Great feedback guys.
Sounds likek the robbins top is the way to go. I didnt find the top installation in the WSM. I'll look again.

The top frame is immaculate and the original top is still in tact except for the rear window is a bit amber on the lower 3-4". When I removed the entire top I was a bit concerned about getting the rear top/boot/seal all riveted back together. What rivets to use, etc..

All this being taken into cosideration, I'll guess my choice would be tackle the challenge myself. As I normally do I take pride in my own work.

Any other comments or installation hints would be great.

Thanks,
Jim

Jim i meant the owners manual, dont think the WSM has install instructions, but owners manula has the raise/lower opnes which helps you understand how it has to move/where it attaches. I would recomend taking a good look at a top on a car before you start.

Also make sure the windscreen and windows are all set nicely first. Then i would start by making sure the part that fits on the vertical rail behind the window is linedup.. then move to the back of the car. this will stop it getting the creases you often see on them round the back 3/4 when they are not in enough tension.