• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Soft top factory inside clips...

agmason54

Donation Time
Beamers
I removed an original top from an SV the other day and noticed some clips that hold the inner softtop flaps on to the inner inside gutter right behind the B post pillars. If you look very closely in the upper left hand corner you can see one clip still in place. At the lower right by my red handled Philly scraw nabber you can see a pair of them.So it seems like the flaps where clipped in place from the factory. This is a new one on me. Thoughts.............
Al

Attachments

• 102_7033 (Large).jpg
    102_7033 (Large).jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 54

alpine_64

Donation Time
Al,

They used those clips to secure the extended flaps to the rain gutters from S3 Alpine onwards. You used to be able to get repros from Sunbeam Specialties.. sadly they are NLA and rick gives you the clips that secure the rubber strip around the scuttle drain inside the bonnet instead.... they dont work nearly as well. :(

agmason54

Donation Time
Mk
They reminded me of seat upholstery clips but with an 'L' shaped extension to grip the lip. I guess they mostly got tossed when a new top was installed.
Thanks
Al

alpine_64

Donation Time
When i get home i can post some pics of the original clips on an unrestored Tiger and the same on a SV Alpine. both with factory soft tops still on... might actually have a pic of the tiger one with me on my USB... will get one either soon.. or later tonight.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
There was a very original, very low mileage SV at the Invasion about 10 years ago that still had these clips. They were a surprise to most of the guys there but certainly cleaned up the look of that area. I have to imagine that it wouldn't be too hard to find a good substitute if one had an original one as a reference point.

agmason54

Donation Time
Kevin MK etc,
I found two on each side. The first picture shows them where I found them. I also noticed that the corner of each flap was tucked up under the center strip that secures the top to the body.
Al

Attachments

• 102_7043 (Large).jpg
    102_7043 (Large).jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 31
  • 102_7048 (Large).jpg
    102_7048 (Large).jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 31

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Thanks very much, Al.

Hmm... VERY interesting. I will have to dig through my stocks to see if I have any of them. They look strangely familiar.

Al, was the top cut off that car?

agmason54

Donation Time
Kevin,
The top was toast so I just ripped it off and used my blade on the header. I think I have seen those clips somewhere else myself . I would never have guessed what they were used for if you handed me one. I was lucky they did not go flying when I tore the top off.
Later sailor,
Captain of the 'John Bull'

alpine_64

Donation Time
I cant remember if there were 3 or 4 per side, I have that photo that shows it, but i didn't finish work till 1am and i completely forgot to look for it. :(