• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Soda Blasting and Stripping your restoration

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
No, its steamed cleaned. The hot water will evaporate very quickly. Metal conditioner (phosphoric acid) is a metal surface cleaner. Some products say to rinse with water, some say to wipe dry.

And some say to drip dry. From the instructions for Prep-Step:
"On thoroughly cleaned surfaces....... an application of 2% solution of Prep-Step, via simple garden sprayer or other application device should be applied, left to dry completely and then WITHOUT rinsing, the surface can be painted."

They claim Prep-Step phosphatizes, is not an acid, but has a pH of ~6. Where I went to school, anything under 7 is considered to be acidic.
Bill

BTW, the all caps "without" is not my emphasis, but as copied from the instructions.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
A garden sprayer? Are you sure thats what they said? Surely, this is something totally different.

Yes, I'm sure that's what they said.

Perhaps you've seen one. Pour a mixture of water and the active ingredient of your choice into them, replace cap, pump until you have adequate pressure for the job, pull the trigger located on the wand and spray. You can adjust the spray for anything from a fine mist to a solid stream. Revolutionary bit of hardware.

Bill