• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

small Dark Side showing

dmich2

Donation Time
You know what...I was just looking at the Invasion pics and if I'm not mistaken I believe only Sweet Pea and Sunny (Mark Crawford's SIV) were the only V6's at this years event. :( AND DON'T SAY.."And your point is....???? :mad:

Dennis

Andrew

SAOCA Web/Graphics Service
Donation Time
Ok Dennis:

Sunny is owned by Mark Thompson, so now you see what the dark side will do to a car lover. The dark side is much like what the "Ring" did to Gollum/Smeagol.:) We Alpine guys feel bad for you V6 dark side guys; it is terrible what a little power will do to a fella, the loss of detail is the first sign.:eek: As soon as we find the proper inoculation, the officials will start administering it to the members in need.:D One should always remember their Rootes, Tiger guys too!

Andrew:D

Andrew

Donation Time
small dard side showing

Dennis:

Im just trying to be a bit of a hoser ay!

Andrew

sunbby

Past SAOCA President
Donation Time
Jed Jones (is that right? I thought it was Jeb?) showed up on Saturday with his very well done gray Alpine. That wasn't an Alger, it had a V6 in it. He pulled in after a 6 hour drive and I think we may have overwhelmed him a little while he was still tired; but everyone wanted to see and know more since his car was so sharp.

If you count all the engine swappers instead of just V6'ers the count is a little higher. Joel's 302 engine, Bill's Pinto power.

Then, depending on your definition of "modifers": the Alpine with the Mikuni carbs, Goerge Farrel's Toyota 5-speed...

In fact, I was thinking I really enjoyed the gamut of Alpines at the Invasion. I appreciate the clean, well finished or restored stock Alpines, and I really enjoy the modified ones. I was also very glad to see many in less than concours condition, made me feel right at home.

I do agree though, more V6'ers would be nice. I would also really like to see in person how the Quad4 swap is going, as well as Bill Blue's possible Duratec. Please start on that Bill, I think you should go for it. (easy for me to say right?)

I guess it depends on where the Dark Side lies?

Andrew

Donation Time
:eek:
My fingers are in my ears, my eyes are shut and I am humming trying not to hear. :D

I would hate to see all of our cars changed from the original!!!
I know, I am one to talk with a role bar, mags and some GT parts tossed into the interior but when I look at an all original car like Scott Christies S3, well it inspires me. I would hate to see everyone thinking it is ok to take a good original car and then dumping in a V6 just for the need of more power. Sitting in my car, listening to the little 4 cylinder with the British exhaust note resonating in my ears would make any car lover happy.

That’s just me and I like the fact that the club is not full of a bunch of motor heads, I think it all make the club more approachable. It’s great that the club welcomes the modified Alpine groups; we know them as the Tiger, Alger or V6 people. It was also nice to see the club give out a trophy for the best modified Alpine, but lets not forget how important it is to stay as original as possible.

Many will say that it make the car more drivable, better on the highways and safer. These are all great points but it is also great to see a car the way it was intended to be, the original design intent intact and working.

Now let me get off my high horse here……..there……now that I am on the ground I must say that the number of people, the collection of personalities and cars was fantastic at this years Invasion. I look forward to the next.

My two, three and four cents worth.:)

Andrew

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
Condecending tone

Thanks Andrew. You managed to take the thread from why there weren't more Modified cars at the Invasion to whining that you'd hate to see all our cars modified and implying that "motorheads" would make the club less approachable. I don't recall anyone suggesting all cars be modified.

Instead of wondering why more of us didn't make the Invasion, maybe a better question would be how many Modified owners are active contributors and support this site with tech information and support for original cars? Would you prefer we take our Modified cars and support to another site?

Here's a nickel, keep the change.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Andrew,

I don't forsee every last Alpine being converted from stock. As an exaple, there are many model T's out there that are still stock, although the largest quantity of them are modified. Even among four cylinder powered Alpines (stock), you would be hard pressed to find an absolutely correct example. I love well done stock Alpines, like Scott's, but even Ian's beautifully restored Harrington, wasn't completely correct. I understand your love for the original and applaud you for it. I like seeing what the factory did with what they had at the time. They are cute too and I would love to have one, are you listening Judy Berghult?? I would also need to have a V6 powered Alpine to feed my need for speed. One of each would be just about right.

Don't ever give up your love for the little four cylinder Alpine. It will be with us forever.

Jose :)

sunbby

Past SAOCA President
Donation Time
Thanks Andrew. You managed to take the thread from why there weren't more Modified cars at the Invasion to whining that you'd hate to see all our cars modified and implying that "motorheads" would make the club less approachable. I don't recall anyone suggesting all cars be modified.

I didn't take Andrews comments as suggesting that the motorheads make the club less approachable; I think he likes the fact that there are both sides. Some people are not as interested or may be intimidated by grease monkeys; they just want to see their lovingly restored or cleaned up stockers on display. Andrew obviously leans towards the stock fans (however he does get his fingernails grimy). I love seeing the super clean stock Alpines, but they do not hold my interest as long as well done modifications. However, my greatest interest would be stock appearing cars modified for better performance, comfort and reliablilty. I would much rather have a fast sleeper than a blower sticking through the hood. Plus I would rather stay true to the intent/soul of the car, with a higher performance inline 4.

The most important point is there are not that many Sunbeams around
and I would hope our club can be equally welcoming to both types.

To the original question, the problem with the dark side is it takes quite a bit of work and there are too many in progress rather than rolling. ;)

Andrew

Donation Time
Hey guys,

I was just ribbing Dennis (he know how much I like his car, he even let me drive it last year -and wow) and I think everyone in this club has shown that they like the V6, Tigers, Imps and so on. The great thing here is this club provides something for everyone. I am sorry I even made a comment, as I didn't think it would offend anyone. I guess that is the problem with the written word.

I guess I should stop right here but please know that I would love to have an original Alpine, a V6 mod and a Tiger in my garage. I would also have a hard time picking what one to drive to work in the morning.

I am sorry for taking this thread to a place of dispute, as I did not intended to do so.

Andrew

dmich2

Donation Time
Andrew, you big jokester!!!!!! Pulling my leg ....ay!!???? I guess there was a reference in there to Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, or maybe Dawn of the Dead, I don't know. Anyway my friend. I'm so glad we all apreciate the beautiful lines of the Sunbeam and even though we might 'tweek' it a bit, I think in general, maintaining that classic look is paramount to the majority. I love listening to all the tech talk, and issues, stock modified, etc, and just seeing all my friends and making new ones. Now go stick a light sable where the sun don't shine.....AY. :p Have you recovered from the verbal lashing Ed gave you ?

Dennis

Andrew

Donation Time
Now go stick a light sable where the sun don't shine.....AY. :p Have you recovered from the verbal lashing Ed gave you ?
Dennis

Hi Dennis:

Thanks for the laugh, you break me up. Now to remove the light saber (or Rapier) from that dark spot.....Ay.

Yes, Ed sure gave me a good going over. I still have a few spots that need attending but for the most part the Ed lashing almost healed over. Only when I purchase a negative ground generator control will it ever really be over.

Did he give you a once over for your switch?

I have yet to talk to Mark about his V6, is Sunny up and running with more power? We didn't drive home together so I hope all is well. I hope things are good as it would be good to see his 6V at the British Day in Bronte Sept 21.
Do any of you guys go to that?
Check out: http://www.britishcarday.com
It would be cool to Invade that show.

Thanks again for the laugh.
Andrew

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
However, my greatest interest would be stock appearing cars modified for better performance, comfort and reliablilty. I would much rather have a fast sleeper than a blower sticking through the hood.

I see a Chevy Rod engine in your future. Custom pistons. Maybe blown out to 2 liters. Vizard head. Totally stock from the outside. Lots more fun inside.

Andrew

Donation Time
I see a Chevy Rod engine in your future. Custom pistons. Maybe blown out to 2 liters. Vizard head. Totally stock from the outside. Lots more fun inside.

Hi Jim,

You have no idea how near to the truth you are, I may end up doing that exact rebuild. I have had a loss of power and a few strange things happening with the car after the trip back from the Invasion. I guess running 8 hours at 4000 rpm was not good for the old girl.

I may need your input for the rebuild Jim. By the way when your ready for your custom side badges for your Alpine just drop me a line.

Andrew

65beam

Donation Time
modified

if you want to talk modified, look at my alpine GT. i even put a full back seat in it . it holds five people ! plus it has high back seats . ???????

dmich2

Donation Time
If you really want to help with those high rpms talk to George Coleman about the 5 spd tranny. When we came up for the Invasion George tooled along very easily at 70 mph.

Good luck. I knew were just ribbing me Andrew. It was all in fun. Sweet Pea loved it.

Dennis

britbeam

Donation Time
If Ole Man Rootes had a V6 Alpine there would have been no Tiger. Wish I had been at the Invasion. It seems some of us need a ride in a V6 Alpine really bad. Yes a stock Alpine is a thing of beauty however there is a place for motorheads in this club 4cyl or Other. I remember some screaming 4cyl Alpines just not enough power for me. Now thats my 2 cents.
Dwain Still V6 Krazy

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Dennis,

Unfortunately, life gets in the way sometimes. It is unfortunate that not many Dark Siders were able to go this time, but it won't be long before there are many V6 Alpines there to have fun with the stock guys. As soon as I get all these kits delivered, there will be another twenty Alpines being converted to the Dark Side. It will be soon, that there will be ten or more V6 Alpines showing up at an Invasion.

I want to comment about statements I hear repeated often. Folks say that a four cylinder powered Alpine, whether stock or from another vehicle, is more in keeping with the spirit which the factory intended. The fact that the Tiger was developed, is proof that the factory would have installed any engine that would have improved performance and sold more cars. The V6 Alpine handles like a stock Alpine, (and some say even better), which, as far as I'm concerned, is more of what "The spirit of the factory" is. I believe the reason the factory stuck with the old four, was because it was what they had and it would have cost them too much to develop something else.

I agree with Dwain, and many others that have expressed the idea, that if the little V6 had been available at the time the Alpines were being made, the factory would have installed one in order to improve performance. Either way, I don't think the factory had any such ideas. Those who want a stock Alpine should have one. Those who want something else, should have what they desire. I damire those who like the old four cylinder Alpine and support them, but as far as I'm coinverned, there is nothing like a 200 hp. V6 Alpine. You will never understand what it's all about, till you have one to drive every day.

Jose :)

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
That same philosophy applies to many car clubs. I've been involved with Mustangs for a long time. When I first got involved it was almost considered sacrilege to modify a classic Mustang. At many shows they were sequestered off in their own little rebellious group. Now many of the current resto-mods are drawing top dollar and are highly regarded. Concourse is great, but making your car suit your own taste has proven to be more fun. At least to me anyway. :cool:

Jim E

Donation Time
Andrew you might want to pop the valve cover and take a sight down the valve tips, could be an exhaust valve at a guess. had that happen to me on the way home from an Invasion, power kept dropping off and by the time I got home things were ugly. Jim S has a great running 1725, a chevy rod build is a good way to go.

2 or 3 V6 cars does not seem like a bad turn out, what maybe 10/15 percent of the cars there were V6. you would think there would be more with the amount of interest, board traffic the conversion generates. Still a lot of the questions and threads are folks who are interested but have not pulled the trigger on the conversion. Then too there are at a guess, and I could be way off on this, 75 or 100 kits produced [Jose you got a solid number] of those I could only guess at how many cars are road worth maybe half or a little better say 40 or 50 cars that are spread out all over the US.

For me the highlight car at the event was the Fastback! Wow! I have never seen one of those on the road, way cool! Do we have any numbers on how many of those sold in the US? where are they all at. I have only ever seen one in person and it was a very rusty non running unit.

chris

Donation Time
I guess running 8 hours at 4000 rpm was not good for the old girl

And that is why I went to the dark side. I love to drive my Alpine, but the old 1725 just couldn't do it anymore. I'm for anything that keeps them on the road.