• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Size of stock Alpine rear axle.

Asm109

Donation Time
What is the spacing between the spring pads on a Series 4 Alpine rear axle?
What is Wheel mounting surface spacing on same?

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
The spring perch center-to-center dimension for Series Alpine (and Tiger) rear axles is about 37-3/4" and the flange-to-flange (not including a brake drum or rotor) is 50-3/4". The pinion shaft is offset about 3/4" to the right.

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Correct, to the passenger side of a US spec left hand drive car. Driver and passenger side can be ambiguous when a vehicle is made in both right and left hand drive versions, but right side when looking forward has only one possible meaning.

There is no physical reason for the pinion to be offset. The transmission tunnel in Series Alpines is centered and not very wide, so an essentially centered pinion is necessary.

Last edited:

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
Toward the starboard side. Fyi, I have a series V rear end less the shock mounts and spring perches. Anyone interested in having it? I wont ship it, so you would have to come to Iowa to collect it.

Chad

Gold Level Sponsor
Toward the starboard side. Fyi, I have a series V rear end less the shock mounts and spring perches. Anyone interested in having it? I wont ship it, so you would have to come to Iowa to collect it.
Hah, and pick up an as-removed S4 3.9-ish rear end while passing thru Missouri!