• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

SIV...V? Clutch pipe needed

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
Hello,

I brought home today an early Series IV Alpine (B9400251 LRX SB) which apparently has a Series V engine (block #B395001991 – LRX). The car is not running due to fuel issues, and the clutch is not working due to a broken hydraulic pipe between the clutch hydraulic cylinders. I think it's called a "clutch down pipe" maybe... The current one was broken by the prior
owner by accident.

I've checked the main places that Google found, and they are out of stock so far. I wondered if anyone might point me to a source, or offer one for sale, prior to having one made.

I intend to restore this car to drive on a long term basis. Once the engine, hydraulics and electrical systems are Ok, it will hard top restoration, interior work, and quite pronouncedly re-painting. Currently it sports a giant logo of a defunct airline, apparently courtesy of a prior pilot owner perhaps 30 years ago.

Thanks. I look forward to this forum.

Allan

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
Allen called at "Boots-To-Bonnet" and I discussed that I would help him out.
If you guys need a clutch line, please save the fittings, they are gold. Don't throw them away. I can make up a new line using your old fittings for about $30 plus shipping.

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
It looks to be Eastern.

At this point I don't have a web site to chronicle what surely will be a journey, but will do one in the near future. I'd be happy to email anyone
interested a photo.

Allan

Green67Alpine

Former SAOCA Membership Director
Platinum Level Sponsor
Why change that paint job? I'm SURE it's a one of a kind :D
best of luck with your resto..

Tom j

I'll drive this car again if it's the next to the last thing I ever do.......

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
Clutch down pipe

Hi Allen.

Where are you located? Be sure to send me all your cars data. Vin#, Sal# and color code and engine # so I can add it to the registry!

Cheers!
Steve

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
Hi,

I'm in Atlanta, GA.

The 1964 chassis number is B9400251 LRX SB which is an early Series IV number.

The number on the block near the fuel pump is: B395001991 – LRX which I believe is an early Series V number.

Are any other numbers needed?

Thanks.

Allan

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
I see I omitted the SAL number.

The SAL is #350273 - What does this mean?

Just to keep it all together:

1964 Alpine Series IV
SAL 350273
chassis B9400251 LRX SB
block B395001991 – LRX
color 19 Moonstone

mikephillips

Donation Time
The SAL number is a body number applied by Pressed Steel, who put the tubs together. Exactly how it relates to the VIN, if it relates at all, is unclear.

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
Thanks.

I see that some folks know when their Alpine was assembled. I thought that maybe the SAL addressed that.

Allan

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
Aeroquip clutch hose.

BTW< If you don't have your fittings for the late clutch hose or the fittings you have look terrible Aeroquip makes fittings that will work. You have to use their braided stainless steel lines. (any braided line with an "AN" fitting of matching size)

If anyone is interested let me know I can put together a couple of sets or provide you with the Aeroquip part numbers of the fittings. Looks great but of course it is a bit pricey - about 40-50 by the time you get all the bits and hose.

Steve

Alpine Bob

Donation Time
Allan,
Where are you located in Atlanta? We have a bunch of Sunbeams in the Atlanta area. We try to get together for local cruises and caravan to car shows. So lets keep in touch and get to know all of the other Sunbeamers.
Welcome aboard.
Cheers,
Bob