• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

SIV Originality: Exhaust

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
Was the exhaust header painted by the factory?

The ones I am looking at are rusty. Is there a problem
with burnishing them?

Thanks.

Allan

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
Its hard to tell, they were all rusty. We have them dipped (rust free) and repair them and paint them with a ceramic manifold paint (black). That ceramic paint actually works pretty well for the cheap price and availability (local parts store).
The hard part to replacing the stock exhaust system is making the weird pipe hangers. I make my own. The generic pipe hangers are just junk and really don't work well & look like crap.
Jan

Wombat

Donation Time
Allan

Years ago, I bought a new header pipe for my Hillman Hunter GT. It was painted a dark grey. Paint burned off and it went rusty quickly though.

Not directly applicable to the Alpine, but it was Rootes.

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
Robert,

Thanks. Guess I will stick with black, as Jan suggested, absent something definative on color. Perhaps your paint came off due to not being heat paint?

Not sure if it will be dipped, but either that or I'll use a mild stone on a drill.

Might be time to ask a machine shop to replace the studs as well.

I noticed small brass washers at the top of the studs. Is brass used so as to be able to remove them later, more easily?

Thanks.

Allan

65beam

Donation Time
header color

are you talking about the cast iron exhaust for a series 4 or the steel tubular exhaust for earlier cars? i have had excellent results with the exhaust coating from eastwood . the gray color looks better also . also jan ,why do you paint them black?

Wombat

Donation Time
Allan

I am guessing that the paint was just there to protect it in transport and storage. The pipe in my SIV shows no sign of any paint.

I haven't seen brass washers, but the nuts holding the pipe on mine were brass. They were about twice the depth of normal nuts. Didnt help with mine because when I bought it all 4 studs had been broke off.

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
I am guessing that the paint was just there to protect it in transport and storage.
I think you're right. I have some NOS pipes and they have gloss black paint on them. It will burn off. Obviously, they didn't have the ceramic HT paint technology like we have now.

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
Allan

I haven't seen brass washers, but the nuts holding the pipe on mine were brass. They were about twice the depth of normal nuts. Didnt help with mine because when I bought it all 4 studs had been broke off.

I found a brass washer between the manifold and gasket for each stud, one got away :D .

Nuts also brass, the deep type you descibe.

Allan

65beam

Donation Time
exhaust coating

jan,
i don't go to the local parts store for exhaust coatings. the cast iron manifolds on my series 4 & 5's are coated with the eastwood product.it stays a nice grey color and looks very nice. my early cars all have stainless from the head back and are polished when installed . the cast manifolds on my 69's have been coated by jet hot with a silver color that makes them look real close to the polished intakes for the strombergs.these cars also have the double down pipes coated the same and then hook into stainless from there on back.the cost to coat the 69 manifolds was 95.00 each.it adds the finishing touch to the engine compartment. i also have an nos muffler for a series 1 and it does have black paint on it.

mikephillips

Donation Time
I've used the Eastwood stainless paint on the Alpine and Tiger as well. Downpipes too. 10 years on for the Tiger and no rust showing. No cheap for a pint but works well and gives a raw cast iron appearnace once it's heat cured.

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
I struck out on finding Eastman products when painting the radiator. I'm sure they are excellent.

NAPA did not have the ceramic manifold paint, will look a bit more, but from what little I know, ceramic heat paint would even out the rough exhaust manifold considerably, improving its appearance.

I picked up a rattle can labelled Specialty High Heat, good to 1200 degrees. It's a rusteoleum product, kills rust. The label says "Renews wood stoves & more." The color is gloss black on the can, but more of a dark greyish black when applied. Looks pretty good and I may leave it be.

I'll try and do a pic of the little brass washers, no wider than the corresponding brass nuts. I understand their purpose is to aid in making a better seal to the block. They fit between the block and the exhaust gasket.

Allan

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
Manifold with 1200 degree metal stove restorative paint (rattle can).

Haven't been able (yet) to get a decent shot of the brass washers...

Thanks for the pointer to Eastwood. Do you have any pics you could post?

Allan

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
Robert,

A pic of the brass washer. Found one per exhaust stud, between the gasket and the manifold.

I wonder if a washer belongs there, "looks stock" but could have been done by a PO.

Allan

Wombat

Donation Time
Allan,

I wouldn't think the washers belongs between the manifold and gasket. They would prevent the gasket sealing properly. I would put them between the nots and the manifold. But I have been wrong before ....