• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

SII Caliper Installation

Hillman

Gold Level Sponsor
After installing new front wheel bearings in my SII, I re-installed the caliper and it was barely rubbing the outside of the disk. In other words, it was not centered on the disk, the caliper was too far toward the center of the car or the disk was too far outboard. I assumed that the inner bearing race was not installed all the way and therefore the hub was slightly outboard. Rechecked, bearing race installed correctly. Well, maybe older bearings have more wear and let the hub sit inward a bit. Refitted old bearings and races. Same thing.

Of course, I did not look at where the disk was relative to the caliper before removal. The WSM says
"When fitting new calipers to Series I and II models,check that the caliper is centrally astride the disk to within 0.025 in (0.64 mm). Measurements are taken between the four machined surfaces inside the caliper and the disk. Any off-center is corrected by positioning shims between the caliper and stub axle carrier with an equivalent thickness of packing washers between the front steering arm lug and the stub axle carrier."

There were no shims between the caliper and its mount points. I'm guessing that the calipers were replaced at some point and not installed correctly if only because the calipers appear to have stainless pistons. The caliper is a tight fit where it mounts. I'm guessing one could move it outboard by removing metal from the outboard side of the mount and shimming the inner side. Is this what the WSM suggests? I'm a bit hesitant to do this as my precision metal working tools are a file or dye grinder. Any suggestions?

Hillman

Gold Level Sponsor
Solution

Jim L of the Hillman List found the solution.

The 'distance piece', part 11 on page 16 of the WSM was installed backwards. No, not by me, a PO or his mechanic.