• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

side vents

sd_pace

Donation Time
Started installing the cobra vents in the side panels:eek:...

Found there is a lot of room in there... I cut them in to the lower part of the panel because I liked the way they looked the best... centered up well with just enough room in front... two and a half inches from the back edge of the well wall. I think I put them as low as they could go without pushing the inner wall in.

I sent gregger an image, maybe he will post it for me cause I dont know how:confused:

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Will they be functional? I planned on putting LAT repro vents in my V6 but couldn't figure out how to make them functional without extensive duct work.

Looking forward to the pictures!

Greggers

SAOCA Vice President
Platinum Level Sponsor
Hi everyone, here's a shot of Steve's soon to be functional side vents.

Attachments

• Vents.jpg
    Vents.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 80

sd_pace

Donation Time
yes they are functional... just need a few small holes from the engine bay to that panel... just hard to get to the small area that makes it work

Last edited:

alpine_64

Donation Time
In that position its more aesthetic than functional, they heat collects higher up, they will have some venting ability but for more cooling effect higher is preferred. Check out the hsc55 tiger, Fraser tiger and works rally tigers vent locations.

Either way.. Nice mod and probably not needed for cooling anyway... So better to have them where you like the look :cool:

sd_pace

Donation Time
it is all one open area behind the vent, badge and script...air will still move from the engine compartment through the the small area of holes and out the vents .... yes maybe it would function better higher up but it still function... I like the look better in this position

sd_pace

Donation Time
Jim I am pretty close to the image you have ... I may be an inch or so lower than yours, and I do like your placement

alpine_64

Donation Time
These are the factory cats:

The works rally car... Probably most effective, but least attractive:
std_1964_sunbeam_tiger.jpg

IMG_0752.jpg.html

Hsc55:
DSC_28752.jpg

Fraser marque "monster" tiger
1049953.jpg

sd_pace

Donation Time
thanks Mike..
you are right, they would work the best there.... you know how it is,
"all about the look" .... after looking at jim's pic, I maybe too low... but there not mounted yet so I can still move them up some

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Jim (260Alpine), That is a beautiful green Colour! Very similar to the Emerald Green I am trying to put on the "Sam's Car".....

I found a color code for the 2014 Corvettes that matches a '72 Chevy 4x4 I had in ND and Alaska. I bit of metal flake.

Do you have the code for what is on the Alpine in the PIC?

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Dan, I don't know the color code but is very similar to my 2004 F150 dark green metallic.

Last edited:

65beam

Donation Time
vents

when tiger tom did his cooling study on tigers he found a two degree drop in engine compartment temp at idle when using the side vents. the openings were up high on the fenders in the area where the voltage regulator mounts. this is shown in the photo of the red rally car. vents mounted lower probably would not lower temps in the engine compartment.

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
Vent

We did vents just like the rally car on the Tiger ...and I, can attest that they
work rather well we're lucky at times to get temps up at lower ambient.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Steve,

If you are using the Volvo fan, you won´t have any cooling problems, no matter where you place the vents. With the Volvo fan and a heavy duty three row core, it would run cool no matter if there were no vents at all, so you can place the louvers where you like them best.

Jose

sd_pace

Donation Time
yes Jose,
I am using the three core and Volvo fan... the vent will have an open path to the engine bay, providing some beneficent, but they are mainly for the looks... and I think I will move them up about an inch or so ... now that I know how much room i have...
also the passenger floor pan is in.. gettin ready for the drivers side... doing the tunnel mod...

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
I think the Firebird TransAm fender vent would look good mounted high and back as far as you could.

Attachments

• CC-110-017-8001.jpg
    CC-110-017-8001.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 50