• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

SI Caliper/disk positioning

Thistle Grey

Donation Time
I am having trouble centering the S1 calipers on the rotors. I am using the original SI axles, with the original distance pieces still in place. I have a set of rebuilt calipers and freshly turned rotors, both from either the SI or SII and have assembled them with the wire wheel hubs from the SII. When I mount the hub and disk assembly, then the calipers, the disk isn’t centered in the caliper, it needs to move inward almost 1/16â€. I used some clay to confirm that the rear bearing is flush to the distance piece, so it can’t move any more inboard, , and the caliper obviously is fixed in position as well. The WSM suggests spacers between the caliper and axle, but that would move the caliper further in the wrong direction. It looks like I need a narrower distance piece to move the hub assembly further inboard, but those aren’t available. Any suggestions? It seems like I’m missing something obvious.

Thistle Grey

Donation Time
How about a simpler question. It looks to me like I either have to replace the distance piece on the axle, or put a spacer between the disk and hub. (really don't like the sound of that). Has anyone ever done either of those?

junkman

Gold Level Sponsor
caliper

If the rotor doesn't rub the caliper, a 1/16th difference shouldn't be a problem as both pistons will equal out and exert the same force on your rotor. But if you cannot get the caliper on because of this pull the shim and grind it to the right size. (nobody will ever know).
Jeff

Thistle Grey

Donation Time
Ok, as it is now I can't get the outside brake pad in because the rotor is too far out of center. When you say "grind it" are you referring to the back of the brake pad or the caliper mount?

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Pictures would help. Very obvious, but did you mount the rotors to the hub in the correct orientation, i.e. going inwards ?

Thistle Grey

Donation Time
Three photos attached to show the issue. The “distance spacer†on the axle is in place and fully seated. The hub and disk assembly is correctly assembled and tightened on the axle as per the WSM and there is no gap between the back bearing and the distance spacer. With the caliper mounted, I can’t get the outside pad in even with piston all the way in. Seems like I must be missing something. ??

Caliper.jpg

Distance piece.JPG

rotor.jpg

Thistle Grey

Donation Time
Any suggestions on how to pull the distance spacer? WSM says to split it and replace it. I can't fine any replacements so I am concerned about damaging it or the axle trying to get it off.

Gary T

Gold Level Sponsor
SI Disc Positioning

I am assuming that you replaced the bearings in the front hub. If so, is it possible that the inner race is not seated to the bottom of the hub? This is worth looking at since if it is not properly seated it would offset the rotor even though the bearing is touching the distance spacer.

Since I have not seen any source for a replacement distance piece I would not remove the existing one which would be damaged if following WSM.

While heat may remove the distance piece depending on the amount of heat could also damage the distance piece as well as the spindle. they are both heat treated for hardness.

Thistle Grey

Donation Time
Good thought Gary, I pulled the hub and rotor off the left side last night and test fit it onto the right side and there was no problem with the fit. That would match with your idea that the bearing may not be properly seated. I'll pull the right hub apart and see what is going on in there.