• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Shocks... again

StefanD

Donation Time
It is time to buy some shocks for my SV. At this time, I can not afford SPAX or Konis. I have been searching to forums and found a reference to KYBs, does anyone have a part number for these? Are there any other decent alternatives?
Thanks

Jim E

Donation Time
There are a bunch of shocks that will fit, the 1st gen Camaro front and rear being one of them as I recall. Some of the "they will fit" pieces require you change the piece in the eye of the front shock, which if I recall does not work out with the KYB pieces.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I found the gas version of the Camaro shock to be a very nice item for street use. Mine are Monroe, a little over $100 per set of four at Parts America. Do an excellent job of knocking the rough edges off the ride, yet provide good control. If you are wanting a performance shock, look elsewhere.

Blll

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
The Tiger guys have been using Eldebrock shocks. I put a set on one of my race cars... they aren't great for the track but I think they probably make a good street shock. About half the price of Koni's

Steve

George Coleman

Donation Time
First printed 4/87

What shock will fit on the Alpine/Tiger (as compared to other cars)?

Your best bet is to buy a set of Konis or Spax for the Tiger from one of the
Sunbeam parts houses. Although expensive, you can be sure they are going to bolt right on.

The Gabriel “Adjustable E†models are also a good choice (model 63329 or 63170 for the front and model 63331 or 63171 for the rear). If you want to try a less expensive solution, some cross-reference info is presented here. I can’t vouch for the accuracy of these but they should be a good starting point.

Front Rear
Sears # 79281 Ford Truck ‘50-’74
Full size Buick ‘65-’70 Lincoln ‘52-’54
Buick Riviera ‘66-’70 Corvette ‘60-’62
Cadillac ‘65-’76 Olds Vista Cruiser ‘63

With some of these shocks, it will be necessary to use different mounting bushings and/or bolts than supplied.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
With some of these shocks, it will be necessary to use different mounting bushings and/or bolts than supplied.

Don't underestimate the difficulty of sourcing mounting bushings if you are going with non-standard shocks. I bought some rear shocks a few years ago (forgot which ones), but my old bushings were shot and I could not locate new ones. I don't remember if I posted the dilemma online at the time, but assume I did. I do know that I couldn't find anything or anyone who knew where to go to find correct new bushings. I ended up selling the shocks (now minus the original bushings, which I had to destroy to remove) on eBay at a loss.

sunbby

Past SAOCA President
Donation Time
Don't underestimate the difficulty of sourcing mounting bushings if you are going with non-standard shocks. I bought some rear shocks a few years ago (forgot which ones), but my old bushings were shot and I could not locate new ones.

Jim, are you sure it wasn't the front shocks? The Monroe rears I bought were bolt on, but the fronts need a different or modified lower bushing.

socorob

Donation Time
One of the uk sunbeAm stores sold shock bushes. I can't remember if they were urethane only or if they had rubber too. Maybe those would work on different shocks.

Giacomo71

Donation Time
Hi, does anyone have a part number for the rear Spaks shocks as i looked in many shops where i live but they dont have any reference to what sunbeam uses.