• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Shipping a Sunbeam

OneHundredYears

Donation Time
I might finally be joining the ranks of Alpine owners, and I couldn't be happier.

Wondering if anybody has any tips/suggestions on getting a car from another state out here to me in Los Angeles? It is in Wisconsin.

Obviously I want to ship it enclosed. Also, as it isn't too expensive a car I don't want to get screwed on the shipping. I have a friend who "knows a guy" and that guy quoted me $1,800 which seems high.

I've thought about flying out to it and driving/enclosed towing it back, but that takes time and money obviously.

Any suggestions?

OneHundredYears

Donation Time
Also, is there anybody that can speak to shipping enclosed vs. unenclosed? I was really expecting the shipping to be less expensive than it has been, to the point that now I'm thinking about shipping unenclosed but, obviously, I don't want to ruin the car/soft top/any of it.

Greggers

SAOCA Vice President
Platinum Level Sponsor
Wondering if anybody has any tips/suggestions on getting a car from another state out here to me in Los Angeles? It is in Wisconsin.

Any suggestions?

I don't have a suggestion as to how to get a car from Wisconsin to Los Angeles, but I do have a suggestion on how to get a car from Los Angeles to Los Angeles.

I keep an eye on Craigslist nationwide, and I frequently see Sunbeams up and down the California coast. Look at it this way:

1. Rust is the enemy. I'm willing to bet there's a guy in Wisconsin right now looking at Craigslist in Los Angeles to find a rust-free car to drag to Wisconsin.

2. You have quotes of $1800 for shipping. The car in Wisconsin is $3900, so you'll be spending $5700 on it. That gives you $5500 to find a car in LA ($5700 minus $200 for a Uhaul trailer). I tend to believe you could get a decent car in LA for the $5500. Best of all:

A. You'll actually be able to put your very own hands on it.

B. Throw in the cost of a case of beer and maybe you could borrow the help of some LA metro Sunbeam experts to check it out with you.

C. And special bonus, it's more likely to be rust-free.

3. Did I mention rust? You could buy a local car with a bad engine, put $3000 into a rebuild and you'll barely scratch the surface of some rust repair projects guys on the forum have spoken of.

This car could be fine, and it looks decent in the pictures, but why waste money on cross-country shipping when you can put that into a better, local car?

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Amen Brother! Preach!

Jose

I don't have a suggestion as to how to get a car from Wisconsin to Los Angeles, but I do have a suggestion on how to get a car from Los Angeles to Los Angeles.

I keep an eye on Craigslist nationwide, and I frequently see Sunbeams up and down the California coast. Look at it this way:

1. Rust is the enemy. I'm willing to bet there's a guy in Wisconsin right now looking at Craigslist in Los Angeles to find a rust-free car to drag to Wisconsin.

2. You have quotes of $1800 for shipping. The car in Wisconsin is $3900, so you'll be spending $5700 on it. That gives you $5500 to find a car in LA ($5700 minus $200 for a Uhaul trailer). I tend to believe you could get a decent car in LA for the $5500. Best of all:

A. You'll actually be able to put your very own hands on it.

B. Throw in the cost of a case of beer and maybe you could borrow the help of some LA metro Sunbeam experts to check it out with you.

C. And special bonus, it's more likely to be rust-free.

3. Did I mention rust? You could buy a local car with a bad engine, put $3000 into a rebuild and you'll barely scratch the surface of some rust repair projects guys on the forum have spoken of.

This car could be fine, and it looks decent in the pictures, but why waste money on cross-country shipping when you can put that into a better, local car?

OneHundredYears

Donation Time
Haha, thanks guys, I appreciate the advice.

I've been trying to do exactly that, but I've been having little luck finding anything here in California. I don't want to jump on the wrong car, just because it's available but, at the same time, I don't want to let it slip through my fingers. Also, even though I haven't been able to check it out in person, I have a mechanic checking it out for me, figure that might be similar. He'll definitely be checking to make sure it isn't a rust bucket!

I dunno, this feels a little bit like the stars aligning on this one, but I'm also trying to be pretty realistic. We'll see if everything checks out, but I really do appreciate the advice a lot.

If anybody has a line on a similar quality, comparable price, California car, I surely would appreciate it!

OneHundredYears

Donation Time
l just had a car shipped from Reno Nv to NE Ohio for seven hundred...Agm

Can I ask who you used? Also did you do enclosed or unenclosed?

I'm thinking it's going to have to go unenclosed, the cost is just too high for the alternative. Anybody have any tips/advice/opinion on that?

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Hey Big Al, That sounds like a better deal than I had with a Hard Top! $140 for 1000 miles using www.uship.com.

Happy Thanksgiving to you an your Mom!

agmason54

Donation Time
Hundred
Why not drive it home yourself?....
The car l got was not running but got within ten miles of me and l towed it home the rest of the way.It came from Sparks Nv to Salem Ohio.The outfit l used was US Direct Auto Shipping 877 242 2212 ask for Tom at extension101.
Dan the Man
I showed my mother your thread she said'thats nice'...
Thanks
Albert

agmason54

Donation Time
One100
The agent is Adam not Tom.No my car rode in the open on top of a huge car hauler.
Tom was the seller.
Slick Al