• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Shifting with Overdrive

mamoose124

Gold Level Sponsor
Recently, in a thread here I learned that some owners with overdrive transmissions use the clutch as they switch into and out of overdrive. Others find it necessary to use the clutch only when shifting out of overdrive.

What I am more interested in is how one should properly use the overdrive transmission to shift up and down through the gears. I have had several vintage British sports cars before they were vintage cars. In 1960, when I was 23, I owned a 1953 TR-3 small mouth; in 1968, I owned a 1963 Sunbeam Alpine Series II, in 1974, I owned an MGB (don’t recall the year; it was a beater, anyway). None of these cars had overdrive. Thus, while I am relatively competent in shifting a regular four-speed transmission, I know nothing about shifting an electric overdrive transmission. My 1962 Sunbeam Alpine Series II is currently in Smitty’s garage in San Diego undergoing repairs. Smitty’s in putting in a differential, fixing the clutch hydraulics, inspecting the brakes, installing a new soft-top, installing a new floor mat, installing seat belts, and installing two door mirrors. Then it gets shipped home to me here in Virginia. This car has a factory-installed overdrive. I need to know how to shift an overdrive transmission.

What I gather from talking and reading about electric overdrive transmissions is that they work in third and fourth gear only. My assumption is that this means if one were to switch on the overdrive when in first or second gear, nothing would happen. Is this correct? Or would something catastrophic happen if this were to occur? Next, I have been told and read that you should never switch on the overdrive in reverse or you will tear up the transmission. Is this true?

Finally, lets get to the business of how to properly shift using overdrive. I assume that when one is in third gear and shifts into overdrive (3rd over?), it acts like a mini shift to a higher gear and the rpms drop. Then, as one accelerates to the appropriate higher rpm, one would then shift into fourth gear. After accelerating in fourth gear to an appropriate higher rpm, one would again shift into overdrive (would you call it 4th over?).
Or is the scenario more like this: while in third gear, after accelerating up to a certain rpm, one would shift into overdrive (3rd over). Then, as one approaches the proper lower rpm for fourth gear, switch out of overdrive and shift into fourth gear. Thence, after accelerating to an appropriate higher rpm, shift a final time into overdrive (4th over).

So, now you have what is in my head about the proper method of shifting up using third and fourth gear and overdrive.

You can imagine my thinking about down shifting. I won’t go into it here. Just give my your verbal account of how to properly shift up and down using overdrive. Or refer me to a document that describes the process.

Thanks you overdrive aficionados for putting me straight on this.

Last edited:

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Most people treat the OD as the fifth gear.
As you note, 3rd OD is so close in ratio to 4th that is just a waste to use it.

As for using the OD, in 4th STD for instance, if you drop off the throttle so the engine its just making enough power to maintain RPM (not speed), hitting the switch then will result in a smooth OD engagement.
Going out of OD is a tougher situation.

You either need a proper throttle blip to match the new RPMS or there will be quite a shudder dropping out.
Most find it easier to use the clutch and prevent the shutter.

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
I don't have OD in my Alpine but I do in the 1800S, very similar.
I have tried w/o clutch and with; using the clutch is by far the smoothest shift and I only use it in 4th .
Don't use it in reverse as it will create quite a rumble and possibly destroy the OD.
In my Volvo 240's if the OD went south , reverse did as well. I don't know enough about the mechanics of the unit to explain that. Something to do w/ the cone gear??

RootesRacer

Donation Time
In my Volvo 240's if the OD went south , reverse did as well. I don't know enough about the mechanics of the unit to explain that. Something to do w/ the cone gear??

If the cone clutch is slipping, you cant go backwards becuase the sprag clutch (ratchet) wont allow power transmission backwards through the OD.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
The only thing I will add is that I find 3rd OD to be a nice gear for driving along country roads. I like it better than 4th and it seems to match up very comfortably with the speed I drive when they aren't too twisty and is more pleasant that 3rd Std. I kick it in and out as needed for hills, but otherwise it makes for a very nice driving experience on some of the roads I take when just out for a nice drive.

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
I agree with RR about shifting using OD as a 5th gear, engaging OD after I am in 4th and up to speed on the highway. And I also somewhat agree with Jim, in that as I am cruising in 4th OD and need to downshift, for a curve or grade for example, I will almost always simply downshift to 3rd, keeping the OD engaged.

I don't think I have ever turned OD on while in 3rd gear.

Tom

alpine_64

Donation Time
I agree with jarrid on the shifting and jim on the OD 3rd... infact OD 3rd can be fun around twisty inclined roads... I lift slightly when going into OD and use the clotch and match revs when going out of it.

mamoose124

Gold Level Sponsor
Thanks, Tom, for this bit about leaving OD on and shifting down to 3rd. I was concerned about this. So, what about inadvertently shifting from 3rd to second with the OD still on? Do we hear crunching sounds? Or . . . ?

mamoose124

Gold Level Sponsor
Thanks to RootesRacer, Bulldurham, Jim, Tom, and Michael for a grand review of shifting with overdrive. I have one remaining question: I have a tendency to mentally "phase-flux" into a sort of dream world from time to time and I might forget that I am in OD and inadvertently shift from 3rd to 2nd gear. Is this big NO-NO, accompanied with crunching sounds, and skidding tires?

Last edited:

Greggers

SAOCA Vice President
Platinum Level Sponsor
I have a tendency to mentally "phase-flux" into a sort of dream world from time to time and I might forget that I am in OD and inadvertently shift from 3rd to 2nd gear. Is this big NO-NO, accompanied with crunching sounds, and skidding tires?

Assuming it's functioning properly, a lockout switch on the transmission automatically turns the overdrive off once you shift into neutral on your way to 1st or 2nd.

mikephillips

Donation Time
One thing no one has mentioned so far, try not to be too aggressive shifting in and out of OD. By that I mean the car shouldn't lurch or buck since the OD specific transmission mainshaft can twist since it isn't as robust as it probably should have been. When stripped down you can find some with the splins on the end twist as much as a spline's width to the side. And since they're OD specific shafts replacement if needed can be an issue.

albeam

Donation Time
hi all

you do actually drive these cars. the car does not do it for you
like a modern vehicle does. like rootes racer i use my overdrive as
basically a fifth gear for sublime motorway cruising. I use the throttle
to control my usage in and out of overdrive. match the revs up so
there is no jarring going in or out, you actually blip the throttle so
all is smooth. Just make sure plenty of oil in gearbox/od.

albeam

Finaddict

Donation Time
Overdrive

The lockout switch on the right side of the trans is critical to preventing damage to the OD. The idiot light on the dash also should be monitored, but is difficult to see in daylight. The lockout switch is adjusted by shims, and operates off the shift linkage. Check the manual for adjusting procedure, & make sure it's tight so it doesn't rattle loose & come out of adjustment.

I can can tell you from first hand experience what happens if the car is operated in reverse with OD engaged. in my case, a loud crunch, followed by non-working OD. I continued to drive the car in non-od mode for several thousand miles, and when I pulled the trans apart, both the OD & trans were toast. They share the same oil, & metal particles from the crunched OD had buggered all the moving parts. With the amount of damage to the planetary gears & roller clutch, i was surprised that I could drive it at all. I don't know if it was a failure of the lockout switch a sticky solenoid, or balky electricals that caused it, but I check mu OD throughly now before long trips. The self-canceling switch & relay system is much more convenient than the older on/off switch, and is worth the extra effort & expense.

Don Sesslar, who raced Alpines in the early '60s & won the SCCA National Championship in '64, told me they ran ODs & used to disable the lockout switch for 1st & 2nd, and effectively had 8 gears for racing. OD 3rd is slightly lower than non-OD 4th, and is handy around town and while pulling some grades. I've found that an OD drops my engine speed by about 800 RPM at highway speeds, and turns an Alpine into a true Interstate cruiser. IMO driving without it would be "juiceless". Enjoy it.

Rex Funk

P. Scofield

Bronze Level Sponsor
I use mine as a 5th gear on the hwy after in 4th only. I down shifted one time (shut it off) and won't do that again.

Paul

mamoose124

Gold Level Sponsor
Shifting into and out of overdrive

I agree with RR about shifting using OD as a 5th gear, engaging OD after I am in 4th and up to speed on the highway. And I also somewhat agree with Jim, in that as I am cruising in 4th OD and need to downshift, for a curve or grade for example, I will almost always simply downshift to 3rd, keeping the OD engaged.

I don't think I have ever turned OD on while in 3rd gear.

Tom

I'm rereading this after some months, Tom, as my car is about to come out of the shop. So, you downshift to 3rd, keeping the OD engaged; so when you shift back into 4th gear are you in 4th gear or 4th OD?

crs

Gold Level Sponsor
Reading this thread brings back old memories when I had a SII with OD.
For highway cruising OD was simply for a 5th gear.
It was fun though to impress the locals that gathered around when gassing up, when pulling away from a gas station, to use OD in 2nd, then third, then third OD, then 4th, and finally 4th OD.
After all, these are sports cars and what 1s the sport if you cannot have fun driving. ;)

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
CRS, I had a 1939 Ford convertible with a Columbia two speed electric solenoid activated rear end that I could do your sequence of shifting 1st thru 3rd (only three gears in '39 Ford transmission). The Sunbeam overdrive only works in 3rd and 4th so the 2nd (OD) wouldn't be possible. I would think we gave interested bystanders a wonder with the 6 gear shifting pattern.

snamelc

Donation Time
Great discussion on shifting into and out of overdrive! I'd add only one bit of advice and that is to remember to shift out of OD when you stop. Otherwise when you go through the gears getting back up to road speed, you'll get a huge rpm drop when it automatically shifts back into overdrive between 2nd and 3rd and you'll wonder where the power went. Obvious I know, but we all do it when our minds wander. Same thing applies to shifting down to 2nd in traffic circles and such... just flip it out of OD before you up-shift to 3rd.

Bill
1962 Series II

lord_rootes

Donation Time
Re; The question of shifting upwards from o\d 3rd. I will sometimes just go straight from o/d 3rd into o'd 4th but more often than not I will depress the clutch, flick off overdrive and pop it into 4th gear. Only takes a second longer, if that, to do.