• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Shifting into overdrive

snamelc

Donation Time
I know there was a thread a few weeks ago concerning how to shift into overdrive but I haven't been able to find it. There were many opinions on it but I don't remember this one: Shift into OD as if you were simply shifting from 3rd to 4th... push in the clutch, let up on the gas, flick the OD lever up (Series II), release the clutch, give it the gas. I tried it before I realized I could possibly wreck something but it worked so smoothly, I wondered why I hadn't been doing that all along. Now I'm wondering if I was just lucky and could I cause some damage to the OD or transmission. Would anyone with first hand knowledge please weigh in? Shifting under power, I get a thunk!! that seems harsh enough to be hard on the OD.

Bill

chard

Donation Time
Sometimes I use the clutch, but often just lift off the accelerator to give a smooth engagment/disengagement.

Jersey Alpine

Donation Time
When downing shifting in OD, simply keep the accelerator pedal where it is and simultaneosly clutch in/out and shift. The split second delay between the clutch and the OD downshift, perfectly matches the rpm increase and results in a dead-smooth downshift, assuming the mph remains constant during the shift.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
The Series II owners manual says to engage and disengage the O.D.with the throttle depressed. Don't say how far.

Bill

RootesRacer

Donation Time
The Series II owners manual says to engage and disengage the O.D.with the throttle depressed. Don't say how far.

Bill

Doest really matter so long as the engine has enough throttle to allow the RPM to increase as the gear drops.

The point is to NOT use the sprags in the one way clutch, but rather let the cone clutch take up the force.