• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Shell Rotella T

Nickodell

Donation Time
To all those who are considering changing to Shell Rotella T diesel oil because of its retaining the ZDP additive essential to protecting valve lifters and cams, but now removed from automobile oil, it's currently on sale at WalMart for the great price of $9.50 a gallon in 15W40. Matilda is now purring on this oil.

britbeam

Donation Time
I was reading that Shell had changed their formula for the amount of zinc in the oil. The old formula has CI-4 on the container and the new CJ-4. Do you know if the zinc has a effect on the oil filter? I have a 2000 Buick Supercharged V6 that has high mileage and Im curious about the Rotella.I also read that the zinc will clog the cat converter. What are your thoughts.
Dwain V6 krazy

Nickodell

Donation Time
Auto manufacturers said that ZDP (zinc dithiophosphate) will bugger up a cat converter, which is the reason the oil companies gave for removing it from automobile engines. As diesels and pre-1973 (?) gasoline engines don't have cat cons there is no reason I know of for not using an oil with ZDP. It won't clog an oil filter (diesels have them too).

D

Dr.NO 007

oil viscosity

is 15w40 the right number for my 4 banger series II ?

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
is 15w40 the right number for my 4 banger series II ?

If your Alpine must start in sub zero (F) weather, you would probably be better off with 10w30. Also, if the daytime temps are not above 60 degree(F), 10w30. Otherwise, 15w40 is fine.

Dwain, until very recently, zinc has been a standard ingredient in automotive motor oils from the 40's or 50's. It will not cause any problems with the filter. Shell Rotella CJ still has a good load of the good stuff, as reported here at the bottom of the page:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1056852#Post1056852

I'm using Rotella 15w40 in the Pinto engine, even as the break in oil. After initial break in (critical failure point in this engine when using high performance cam) the cam and followers looked great. I'm going to stay with it.

Bill

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor

Andy, oil may not be an issue "over there". EPA has required automobile oil to have very low levels of phosphorus and zinc, as they poison the catalytic converters. Slider cams, especially the sportier grinds, must have these high pressure lubes or they will self destruct in a few hundred miles. The high pressure additives are still allowed in Diesel oils, hence the mad rush over here to Rotella and other Diesel rated oils. I really don't think there is anything special about Rotella, its just that it is widely available, attractively priced and known to be good for use in gasoline engines.

Bill

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
I was reading that Shell had changed their formula for the amount of zinc in the oil. The old formula has CI-4 on the container and the new CJ-4.
Yes, we need to check into that point. I know Doug Jennings told me the only "good" Rotella T diesel oil, can only be purchased at a major truck stop.
Jan

Nickodell

Donation Time
Jan, with all due respect to Doug, I think he's is full of manure on that point. Shell can't sell Rotella T with one specification at a truck stop and a different one at WalMart. The jug I bought has the latest approval ratings for all diesel applications.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Yes, we need to check into that point. I know Doug Jennings told me the only "good" Rotella T diesel oil, can only be purchased at a major truck stop.
Jan

Jan, by all means get a couple of quarts of Rotella and have them analyzed. Personally, I'm willing to take Shell's word on the subject.

Bill

65beam

Donation Time
rotella t

jan,
for many years i sent my trucks to the shell wood river refinery to pick up loads of rotella . the product is blended only one way with one recipe .we picked up bulk by the transport load and also package product . many times we loaded package product that was being packed as they loaded due to the amount that moved out of there every day .we package drums and pails ourselves with the approval of shell . there are not two different products . never has been .

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
Well, you people can say what you want....but I'm sticking with Doug on this belief....I don't care what he's full of or how many drums of Shell your trucks had.....It doesn't matter. I'm still sticking to Doug's story!.....:D

Series3Scott

Co-Founder/Past President
Platinum Level Sponsor
Thanks for the tip Nick - I picked up mine yesterday at Wal-Mart and will change the oil soon in anticipation of spring driving.

gordonra

Donation Time
Well, you people can say what you want....but I'm sticking with Doug on this belief....I don't care what he's full of or how many drums of Shell your trucks had.....It doesn't matter. I'm still sticking to Doug's story!.....:D

Is this an "anti-Walmart" thing?

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Is this an "anti-Walmart" thing?

I really doubt it. Thought so at first, but decided there might be a real cause for the assumption. So I conjured up this scenario:

The new formulation has been on the market for a little over a year. I think someone bought some of the initial shipment of the new formulation at Wally World, noticed it was a different formulation. A month later, went to a truck stop, where the merchandise supply chain is not as direct and turnover is slower, saw they still had the old stuff. Logical conclusion: Shell is stocking WW and commercial outlets with different formulations. Logic would tell the observer the WW stuff is inferior, certainly is not going to be better. Especially if it is cheaper in price.

Bill

65beam

Donation Time
different formulation

guys, i'll say this one more time . over a few decades as an oil company rep,i have called on buyers and dealt directly with most of the mass retailers of the east coast and the midwest .it would take awhile to explain the mentality that they work on and also how they set their pricing. automotive has always been one of the loss departments for most of them .think where the auto department is : it's never at the front door .you pass the high profit departments to get to it. there are not two different formulations ! the big box stores buy and net down the product using all funds available to them and sell from that .one fond thought from many years ago was when i was making the quarterly presentation to the buyer and the net cost per quart was 86 cents and the buyer looked at me and said : i can sell that for 69 per quart ! if you sent in a sample to shell and told them what oil it is ,they have one spec to go by .they don't ask which big box store it came from . neither do any of the other oil companies . there is only one conventional rotella,one pennzoil 10/40,etc.etc. let's use some common sense here !